Author Topic: What do you guys use as a back for your solar panels?  (Read 985 times)

terramir

What do you guys use as a back for your solar panels?
« on: June 26, 2004, 06:10:53 PM »
also Another question I have enough cells to build another two solar panels,

and I was wondering what you guys use for backing of your solar panels. Because I got an idea. since these cells are relativly flat and strait they all have some flaws I could use a metal block of the same size on wood and hit it a few times in order to create a indentation to sink the cells in

the thing that worries my is that wood has a tendency to warp when moisture get's to it any ideas folks?

Let me know

terramir

« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 06:10:53 PM by (unknown) »

nwcpro

Re: What do you guys use as a back for your solar
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 09:22:53 AM »
Well, I used 1/8" fiberglass sheeting over 1/4" plywood and then mounted the cells in a layer of cheap tub and tile caulk.  Since I am building them as we speak, we'll see if it works, or I threw away $300 on the cells.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 09:22:53 AM by nwcpro »

terramir

Re: What do you guys use as a back for your solar
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 06:11:43 PM »
well that should work I as of yet I've only used acrylic sheets myself then again the panels I have built are hanging in windows.

I don't think it will "not work"!

my question was geared more towards a professional look since I have seen panels that are professionals (in fry's) have built I just couldn't figure what the backing was. I wanted to make two panels with the good cells I have enough for two panels that looked a little more professional

that's why I was asking
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 06:11:43 PM by terramir »