Author Topic: Need Help Making a Solar Panel  (Read 1270 times)

foster

Need Help Making a Solar Panel
« on: October 21, 2004, 11:30:59 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have been following your posts now for a little while and need some explanations regarding the construction of a solar power panel.

I wanted to run several lines of silicon horizontally across a square piece of either glass or fiberglass, so that each solar cell would be stuck to the plastic by at least two lines of silicon. Pressure would then be applied to stick the cells on the silicon.  

The perimeter of this sheet would then be buildup with strips of plastic or glass, sealed with silicon and finally the top sheet of tempered glass would be applied and sealed again using silicon.

My questions on the above are:-

1. Is it best to have a vacuum between the cells and the tempered glass.
  2. How does the Silicon caulk stand up to UV radiation.
  3. Does this system disperse heat well.
  4. I have heard some mention of stainless steel as a backing, how can this be done .

I welcome your comments.

Many thanks

Andrew

« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 11:30:59 AM by (unknown) »

iFred

Re: Need Help Making a Solar Panel
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:15:26 PM »

Don't know what your talking about, maybee clarify what you are saying..

« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 09:15:26 PM by iFred »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 10:01:06 PM »

Silicon is subject to breaking down in sunlight it also will oxidize some metals .

If you put it on steel you'll see the rust after a couple of days I think aluminum

is a better combination. Using a vacuum is not necessary .The use of dry gases works

well glass as a backing seems like the best overall as the cells can't be stressed .

The panels I 'm building I'm limiting to 9 volts and bonding the cells to the front glazing with a n aluminum frame inside to dissipate heat and a channel around the finished unit .  

« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 10:01:06 PM by tecker »

foster

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »
Hi Tecker,

Thanks for your comments.

I seem not to have been to clear on my query concerning the "embeddeing of soalr cells" I will attempt to make this query a little more clearly now, in binding the solar cells to the aluminum do you have a complete layer of silicon on the metal upon which the cells are embedded or is the silicon dabbed on certain spots on the cells, i.e the corners and then forced down onto the aluminum.

For your bonding agent will you be using tub and tile silicon as your adhesive ?

And if Silicon does breakdown in sunlight do you have an idea how long these panels will last ?

Thanks again for your comments.

Best regards

Andrew

« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 11:05:00 AM by foster »

foster

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 11:17:14 AM »

Hi IFed,

I am trying to develop my best plan for the construction of Solar Panel, I was trying to give an idea of my strategy and highlight queries that I am having.

My main query relates to if there is a complete layer of silicon between the solar cells and their backing, or if they are applied for example by applying silicon to the corners of the cell and then sticking the cell down to the backing.

Many thanks

Andrew

« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 11:17:14 AM by foster »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 07:08:23 AM »

The cells can't take any wieght so any pressure on them will cause a problem I would use polyurethane roof sealant or atv silicon.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 07:08:23 AM by tecker »

foster

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 09:14:35 PM »
Thanks Tecker,

Will get to work and sent some pictures when completed.

Best regards

« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 09:14:35 PM by foster »

phil b

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 10:31:29 AM »

How does the Silicon caulk stand up to UV radiation.

The clear, non-paintable door and window caulk I used is supposed to be guaranteed for 50 years. After a few days, I noticed some of the copper wires used to connect the cells together, did have a little green oxidation on them. They were sealed in the silicon almost completely. I don't think that's going to be a big problem.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 10:31:29 AM by phil b »
Phil