Author Topic: Any info on ebay solar cells? (engineroom)  (Read 996 times)

somemathguy

Any info on ebay solar cells? (engineroom)
« on: December 20, 2004, 01:20:33 AM »
Couple of questions about these cells that have been on ebay for a long time now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5944429552

I noticed quite a few people on here have been buying them and building their own panels...

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/12/9/153432/099

I've been wanting to have a go at making my own panels for a while too...and recently after poking around the local 'recycling facility' (ie. dump) I managed to find 10 sheets of stainless steel exactly 34 1/2" x 17 1/2" which I think would make good weatherproof backings for 33-cell panels (3x11 cells) as they also have a raised lip around the edges that i think i could use as a surface to place glass or acrylic on the front. However, 11 cells (which seem about 5 3/4" x 3 3/4" from the pic on ebay) plus spaces end up being slightly longer than these stainless steel sheets. I have been considering making 30-cell panels (3x10) to fit the sheets but have noted that people advise at least 32 cells and preferably 36, especially in cloudy areas where voltage drops can be so drastic that no current can flow at all. I imagine it would be even worse with only 30 cells....can anyone comment? Is a 30-cell panel a bad idea?

Does anyone have exact measurements for these cells?

Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 01:20:33 AM by (unknown) »

iFred

Re: Any info on ebay solar cells? (engineroom)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 06:39:28 PM »

My Site.. i'm using 28 cells 3x6 - each cell puts out 3A@.500vdc - These 28 cells are hooked in series and I get about 15 vdc to 16.8 vdc. I have a C-30 xantrax controller, which i have yet to play with, but I figure the first 2 panels will hook in series and then parelle after that.

www.internetfred.com

« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 06:39:28 PM by iFred »

somemathguy

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 06:49:59 PM »
Yes your site is great, very nice! Did you buy 5lb of cells? Also since I am also in canada it would be good to know...did you have to pay duty on the shipment?

I was actually looking for the physical dimensions of the cells to see how many will fit on my plates, but the amps/volts info is good to know as well! Thanks

« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 06:49:59 PM by somemathguy »

picmacmillan

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 07:17:20 PM »
hi somemathguy....i too am getting some of those solar panels and i have seen internetfreds....he is doing a great job with them.....about your question of duty...the answer is yes there will be duty on anything coming from the states now....i have received three things this week from the states and canada post has charged me on all of them...not much but still they get there cut for sure....those solar cells seem to me to be a good buy and you will forever have free hydro....one of my concerns was that the power would reverse at night time but my fears were quenched when internetfred(good guy),told me that the inverter has a thing on it(can't remember the name) to prevent it from letting them go backwards at night....i am also canadian, windsor and kirkland lake area(transient :)..take care pickster...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 07:17:20 PM by picmacmillan »

iFred

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 06:32:44 PM »

Do a search on this web site for "solar", I posted regarding all these issues for the last two months or so. The size of your panel, the controller, the wiring, all must match. Do a search and read, it's all been covered. As for the issue of duty, expect to pay at least $40 duty and shipping/GST fees. I ordered 13pounds in 2 boxs, yes I paid a little over $80...I did post this earlyer!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 06:32:44 PM by iFred »