Author Topic: Basic SetUp Question:  (Read 1823 times)

LisaDiane

Basic SetUp Question:
« on: March 12, 2006, 05:26:54 PM »
I am very ignorant about this stuff....and need some basics on setting up one solar panel.  I am just experimenting now...no major project here...  I have one 16V solar panel, a 12 volt deep cycle battery, voltage meter, DC plug connection, and 400 Watt power inverter.  I am having trouble trying to figure out exactly how this all connects together.  I am trying to teach myself the basics so that I can begin to learn how to set up my own system.  

I know this may be a stupid question for most of you, but I am really struggling here... LOL     Is there a place to get some really BASIC simple info on setting up these simple connections... a site with photos would be great...  If one of you could offer just some simple basic step by step instructions, it would be great.  Thanks!!! Lisa.....wanting to go solar!!!!!  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 05:26:54 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Basic SetUp Question:
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 10:29:24 AM »
It would help to have some more info on the panel and battery.

G-
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:29:24 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wdyasq

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 10:54:54 AM »
Lisa,

You may be better able to keep up with this posted as a diary. They stay visible longer and I THINK you would get more help.

Ron

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:54:54 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 11:15:08 AM »
I'll go with a couple assumptions.

The panel is small, like 5 watts?  The battery is 'car battery size', 85 or 100 amp hour?

If so, all it needs is a diode between the panel and battery. Often refered to as a 'blocking diode' when used like this.

If the panel is a 21 watt US dealer sample or display unit (forgot what he's calling them, but he should give more information as to the condition of those panels), the wires are potted and it'll take someone with some experience to extend the wires.  This size could benefit with a charge controller to keep the battery from overcharging.

It's really very simple, but we need some more specific information to help.

G-

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:15:08 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wdyasq

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 11:44:33 AM »

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:44:33 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

windstuffnow

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 12:36:50 PM »
 Hi Lisa,

The inverter will have a pos and neg side to connect to the battery, simply match the pos and neg on the battery.   As well, the solar panel will have a pos and neg wires comming from the panel which will connect to its corresponding pos and neg on the battery.  

If the small inverter was meant to plug into a cigarette lighter then you'll have to either make up an adaptor plug ( automotive stores have the sockets ) or cut the plug off and use the connection wires.   Be sure to determine which is pos and neg, usually one side has a marking on it either a white stripe or red wire but it depends on the brand.  If you can't find the difference between the two, you can carefully take the plug apart and the positive wire will be connected to the center post and the ground will be connected to the side ( springy thing ).

Hope that helps...

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 12:36:50 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 01:04:57 PM »
Id just like to point out that battery is NOT deep cycle. Its a sealed lead acid and flattening it by more than 25% is sure to damage it. I know this from past experience.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 01:04:57 PM by AbyssUnderground »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 01:11:37 PM »
Just like to add a diagram

I hope you can understand it. It was a very quick diagram.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 01:11:37 PM by AbyssUnderground »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 01:13:33 PM »
Seems the forum has resized the image (first time ive posted one). Right click and select "View Image" in FireFox or "Save As" in Internet Explorer to see it full size.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 01:13:33 PM by AbyssUnderground »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 02:01:39 PM »
Abyss , did you know that your link points back to fieldlines , and not your site..

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 02:01:39 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 02:25:10 PM »
Works now. I didnt fully read the user prefs page and I forgot the http:// :-)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 02:25:10 PM by AbyssUnderground »

dinges

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 03:26:40 AM »

Lisa,

Funny how much reactions one gets if one is a woman and sounds a little panicky :)

Somehow us men can't resist helping..

The good thing of such a basic setup as you have is that it's ideal for learning the basics, before plunging in in a major way (which you WILL be doing, once you get the hang of it). It just takes a bit of work on your side to study and to apply the knowledge.

Did you check out this website? It's from the same guys that operate this discussion board and has some very basic information. It will provide you with some background.

http://otherpower.com/otherpower_solar.html

Another site with some good information, and one I particularly like (Gary, please come back from holiday! One doesn't know what you've got until it's gone...)

(though I haven't found any on your specific question; still, good reading):

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/pv.htm

and in general good DIY information on homepower, also PV-panels:

www.homepower.com

Succes,

Peter.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:26:40 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

dinges

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 03:28:41 AM »
Check out this link too; the system not only works for outhouses, and is the most basic setup, much like what you have (even simpler, without the inverter):

http://otherpower.com/otherpower_outhouse.html

Peter.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:28:41 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

tce

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 02:42:49 AM »
You will also need a charge controller---this will ensure that the voltage from the panel to the battery does not exceed 13.8v--the charging voltage--, and when fully charged, the battery will only receive a "trickle charge".

As some have already shown you, simply attache the panel to the charge controller. The charge controller to the battery. And the inverter to the battery. With a voltmeter you can monitor the battery voltage to make sure that it's not being discharged faster than the panel can charge. A voltage of 11.5 will tell you to stop using the battery until it's charged.

Tony

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:42:49 AM by tce »

solarjimmy

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 08:49:51 PM »
I started out by copying http://www.yourgreendream.com/yp_solar_charger.php and moved on from there. The good thing about it is even thought they are basic parts they are not useless when you get to the more advanced stages,
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 08:49:51 PM by solarjimmy »

fungus

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 01:36:59 PM »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 01:36:59 PM by fungus »