Author Topic: Lazy charging system  (Read 1819 times)

49north

Lazy charging system
« on: April 07, 2006, 09:27:05 PM »
My solar system has a 70-amp charger hooked up to a big Honda ES6500 generator, feeding into an 800 amp-hour battery bank.  Last fall we ran the battery bank down to 50% (according to the meter) and so I started up the generator.  Try as I might, I could not get the charging past 20 amps.  At about 1/2 a gallon of gas per hour this was slow and frustrating.  Why won't it charge at closer to 70 amps?  The inverter is set to full charge.  My solar supplier is stumped: his last suggestion was to try putting a big load on the inverter.  I never got a chance to try that before we had to leave.  By the time I returned the sun had fully charged the battery bank.  We rarely see the battery bank down that low, so I haven't had to run the genny since.  Any ideas for next time?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:27:05 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: Lazy charging system
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 03:44:27 PM »
As far as Im aware, batteries will only take current they want. You cant force them to take a high current. I have a 10A 13.8v power supply that charges a 7Ah lead acid battery. Its rare it goes above 5A, even when the battery was at 10.5v when the charge started.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 03:44:27 PM by AbyssUnderground »

Nando

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 10:49:28 PM »
The situation is the charger setting.

The current is defined by the output voltage of the generator

You need to measure the voltage of the battery unloaded and not being charged,

then

You need to measure the voltage of the battery unloaded AND being charged.

You have not informed the battery voltage and the type of battery you have.

During charge, the battery should be 14.25 to 14.4 ( for a 12 volts battery) if the voltage is there but the current is not then you need to see if you may have a bad cell.

If not then investigate the generator.

Nando

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 10:49:28 PM by Nando »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
I tell people with solar and gas chargers to use the gas for a short time (1/2 hour) if the batteries are quite low, then let solar finish the charging.

Chargers will maintain the battery voltage. If the charger voltage is set to say 14.3V, the charger will only supply the amps needed to maintain the batteries at 14.3V. If that happens to be 1 amp, then its going to charge at 1 amp.

Let the gas do the 1/2 hour bulk charge. 1st thing in the morning is most logical, after a nights use and when the surface charge has balanced out. Then the solar will top them off.

If the system is 12 or 24V, it could be worth the money to use a lawn mower engine and automotive style alternator.  Common device around here.  Cheap.  Uses a heck of a lot less gas!  Quieter too.

A small alternator, 35A?, will start charging easier.

Large alternators, 105A?, tend to stall the motor a few times before the battery volts are high enough to limit the amps, so the motor can keep going.

After 1 or 2 minutes, the charge rate is the same anyway, and 35A alternators are cheaper.

An outfit on the web sells metal plates cut to match mower engines and alternators. The site name escapes me at present. Very interesting site, although I believe much of the tech info is flawed.

I've seen it done with angle iron, door hinges and 2x6's.  

Should get a few hours of charging at the same amp rate for a gallon. I've heard ~4 hours with 5/8 of a gallon.  At 4 hours per day, that would save about $11 a day in gas, here.

G-

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 05:14:00 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 05:30:32 PM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 05:30:32 PM by zap »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 06:03:58 PM »
Thats it!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 06:03:58 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »
check the charger and try starting the gen set and charging the batteries  even if they show fully charged you may have a bad meter.  You also may have a good battery  bank that is connected to another bank, a switch that is bad maybe a problem. I do not know if you have more than one bank. My sytem will have three banks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 05:21:05 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

dougconsul

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 05:36:33 PM »
Hello,

regarding the charging rate...I assume you are charging through your inverter...my Trace 4024 has a menu selection that sets the charging rate from the generator... your inverter may have a similiar menu setting...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 05:36:33 PM by dougconsul »