Author Topic: building first solar panel  (Read 2399 times)

w9kh

building first solar panel
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:38:46 AM »
I just ordered the "solar cells by the watt" from silicon solar to try and build my first panel.  What should I use for a backing for the panel, as well as what kind of glass for the front?  Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Like I said, this is my first attempt at building a solar panel, but I would like to build more if all goes well.

Thank You,

Kevin

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 12:38:46 AM by (unknown) »

amiklic1

Re: building first solar panel
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 02:33:19 AM »
You can search for my past posts. I discussed that with others. Now, I do it like this:

Front glass: 4 mm tempered glass

Rear (backing) glas: 4 mm tempered glass

Frame- Aluminium 20x20x2mm U-profile

Mounts: Alu 20x20x2mm U-profile

First, solder all front sies of the cells. Than, test each cell for voltage and short circuit current.

than connect 9 cells in a line, to build a string. Turned upside-down, solder all 9 cells 810 is allso posible). I mount last cells in a string on 90 deg (see pictures on http://www.hypeol.com , that's my web page with solar panels)

Than, I use Sika TackDrive silicone, used for windshield mounting on the car, to glue the cells onto the back glass. Than, I use aluminum tubes (perforated) with a kind of silica gel (ask in window manufacturers, or a glss shop for that)and put it onto the ends (make a frame of that) the botom glass. I put some plastic around the positive and negative ends that goes outside the panel, so there is no possibility of shot circuit, and take it down under that aluminium tube (square tube with many small perforations. You need it to avoid condensation). Than I put fron glass above tha, and fasten it somehow. (Weight or similar). Than I put a large amount of SikaTackDrive all around. Let it to stay one day, and glue the frame tomorrow.

It's not the best explanation, I know, but see what you still need and ask.

Happy to help.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 02:33:19 AM by amiklic1 »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 06:54:13 AM »
Here's my postings on how I did it, very similar to amiklik, but no frames.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/2/4/222357/5564

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/2/26/11119/5985

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 06:54:13 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

w9kh

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »
Thanks very much for that info.  There is a glass place nearby I will have to check into.

To connect each of the cells together, what did you use?  Is non-insulated copper wire sufficient or is there something else I should use.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 09:05:21 AM by w9kh »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 04:05:17 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

picmacmillan

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 06:07:13 PM »
i have a bunch of photo's in my photo upload section on solar stuff..it was fun and they work well...had a bit of condensation problems on 1 panel, but rectified it with the plastic stick on a qtip (the kind you clean your ears with)..it has a small hole in the center of that plastic stick that is big enough to let air through, but small enough not to let bugs and water in..also, make sure the glass you use is clear, not tinted at all....good luck on your project...pickster

« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 06:07:13 PM by picmacmillan »

billr1

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 05:37:45 PM »
I'm preparing to build my first panel as well.  Got my shipment of WB-28 cells from Plastec, but was wondering-  is the copper ribbon/tabbing material mentioned above suitable for wiring these higher current cells together?  What is the ampacity of this ribbon?  Other posts here suggest that higher gauge stranded copper wire might be better.  This makes sense but soldering AWG 10 wire to the tiny busses on the front of these cells would be challenging, and raise the risk of breakage significantly.

Any thoughts on this from you experienced panel builders?

Thanks,

Bill

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:37:45 PM by billr1 »

w9kh

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 05:59:50 PM »
That goes along with my question....  Do I NEED the tabbing, or is solid or stranded wire sufficient.  The wire is much easier to come by.

BTW...I got an email from SiliconSolar stating that my cells are out of stock for 3-4 weeks.  Wish it would have said that on their website when I ordered them.  grrrr.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:59:50 PM by w9kh »

Hurricane

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 02:53:26 PM »
You absolutely need tinned interconnection ribbon. DO NOT USE COPPER WIRE.It wont work,you will end up with non working or just  broken cells from all the heat of trying to use regular wire while soldering.I wrote an e-manual on this covering all aspects of making your own panels in fully photo documented and explained form.Till its circulated,i want to try to clear up some misconceptions and have some people avoid mistakes i made.A couple ive seen here are 1)Those are really nice looking panels from Czech Republic? and im not ragging at all on product you are trying to sell but i warn anyone away from using wood in any form on their panels.It warps,it is porous and is a maintenance issue.Common C Channel aluminum from Home Depot is fine for almost any panel and if you need rigid sides for larger 125-210W panels,use 1" square aluminum barstock.Again,im sure that Teak is protected but for DIY'ers i wouldnt suggest using it.2)Those small tabs from Ebay are not what you need.You MUST use ribbon that covers the ENTIRE CELL,not just connecting it with two little pieces.The busbars need to be fully connected to get all the electricity from each cell.I have a supply of ribbon for the strings and bus--its limited for now so im not a reliable source at present but talk to Jim Brazinet at Plastecs and he will send you the right amount and type of ribbon you need.If you buy cells from him,you will get it for free.The wire is  flat copper  that is SILVER in appearance,the silver is the tin coating added at manufacture and is CRITICAL to you being able to solder to your cells.You will have to add solder to the wire to make it stick(have to coat it).3)Silicon Solar no longer carries those cell kits,only the 2.3W cells.I would warn away from those kits anyway as they are bisected quasisquares.Im still not sure why people want to use those segmented cells,manufacturers laser-cut those usually on cells that have cracks or flaws in them so that they can sell the pieces at price and not as broken fullstock.I bought 1 of those kits a long time ago and just was an extra pain dealing with the halves.The 2.3W cells are good though,pricey but pretty much all thats out there unless you order from overseas or the smaller cells from plastecs.

So not trying to be a know it all but i had to spend 6 months finding alot of this info and it COST in mistakes,not everyone should have to spend extra money to make this stuff or even have to search for the material because more people NEED to be doing this.Solar should have been mainstream 20 years ago.

Anyway,my manual will be circulating shortly but you will find it at http://livingoffthegrid.org and other sites as well-maybe this one if they think its useful :)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 02:53:26 PM by Hurricane »

Hurricane

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 03:02:43 PM »
Also on glass.....ive tested it with and without with a good multimeter like the one shown in a pic above (extech i believe) and the difference between crystal clear plexiglass is neglible.The passivity of UV is about the same( i would assume)the V is at a drop of .2 V....Lo-iron hi silicate glass is about the same at .159/.2 so to save alot of hassle may be easier just to use plexiglass....i use 1/8" and is cheap.I guess if you can get glass free or next to that thats cool but its a definite pain to work with and cutting glass is not a favorite hobby.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:02:43 PM by Hurricane »