Author Topic: I fixed my broken solar panel  (Read 2099 times)

Chris R

I fixed my broken solar panel
« on: April 27, 2006, 04:46:04 PM »
Hello all,

A little while ago I was upgrading a wooden frame that I had built around my 4 Siemens 50 watt solar panels. While I was disassembling it one section of 4x4 swung loose and connected with the back of a panel. It shattered the fused glass front and made me quite unhappy. The glass is fused to the cells and cannot be taken apart and replaced. After searching the web, and contacting Siemens for advice I settled on this fix for the broken glass...

If your panel is still making power, then lets fix the glass as best we can...

I ordered a piece of 1/8" double strength glass from a local glass shop. Cut to 1/16" less than the inside edges of the frame over the old glass. I bought a small can of spar varnish (Helmsman clear with a UV protectorant), and a small tube of Silicone caulk (clear) from the local harware store.

After blowing off any crushed glass with compressed air, and making sure the groken glass did not stick up anywhere, I made sure the panel was dry and somewhat warm (Not hot) and began brushing the first layer of varnish over the broken glass, right up to the frame edges. let that dry (a dust free environment is best, but not absolutely necessary) then add another coat a bit thicker than the first. Let that dry at least 24 hrs in a warm place. Then you can add the new pane of glass on top of the broken glass. Center it and silicone the edges of the new pane. Overlap the aluminum frame a little...as long as you dont cover the actual solar cells with silicone you can overlap the edges of the glass as well.

Let that dry completely and then check that the silicone has sealed the edges of the glass to the frame.

You are ready to put the panel back into service, the power output may be lessened a bit due to shading from the cracks in the original glass, but overall mine is producing 80% or better of its original power after this fix.

Hope this helps, good luck

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:46:04 PM by (unknown) »