Author Topic: Every Light in the House is on ......  (Read 1422 times)

Clifford

Every Light in the House is on ......
« on: July 22, 2006, 05:59:48 AM »
Well,

As some of you have heard, St. Louis, Missouri was hit with quite a storm last Wednesday night, then another on Friday (I think).  I was actually out of town at the time....  

But, I did manage to get back into the city to see whole sections of the city darkened by a lack of power...

So... when I got home, I've turned on all the lights in my house...  

For the last 9 months I've been the only one in the neighborhood without power...  

so, for the next few days I can be the only one in the neighborhood WITH POWER.

Thus, solar can be more than just pretty panels on the rooftop.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 05:59:48 AM by (unknown) »

commanda

Re: Every Light in the House is on ......
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 02:24:35 AM »
You don't really mean to rub it in, but..........

Amanda

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:24:35 AM by commanda »

Nando

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 08:57:58 AM »
No Amanda, he is, REALLY, bragging !!!

Nando

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:57:58 AM by Nando »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 01:21:07 PM »
Genny:                  $2500

Tower, guys, & anchors: $1200

Batteries:              $1500

Inverter:               $3000

Being the only house lit during a blackout:  Priceless.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:21:07 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Tom in NH

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 08:50:49 PM »
Way to go, Clifford! We need a lot more people building a lot more homes like yours. --tom
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:50:49 PM by Tom in NH »

Clifford

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 10:55:49 PM »
Yes,

I did choose to flaunt having power this week, in part because the choice for me to go off grid was made by the city & the local power company, rather than it being my own choice.  Of course, maybe I should have been looking at it for years, just "the grid" is so convenient.

And, I have thought about trying to "give" some excess power away to the neighbors.  But, unfortunately I still barely have enough for my own usage, and don't have the resources here to convert their houses to run on high efficiency 12V systems.  Nor, can I just go down to Home Depot and buy 3 Watt and 5 Watt - 12V light bulbs, or hardly anything else needed to make the conversion.  Nor can I power up the neighbor's fridges.

Thinking about Renewable Energy (Solar, Wind, etc).  

Personal generation systems are still very much in the realm of home tinkerers.  And, the USA is moving away from that very rapidly.  Just like I rarely see neighbors willing to pop the hoods on their cars when something goes wrong, people are willing to pay $100+ a month to not have to walk down to their basement to check their battery charge, or to turn their inverter off when not in use.

I am surprised though that I didn't hear about hundreds or thousands of people down in New Orleans giving the power company "the finger".

Unfortunately, to go to RE, one often has give something up.

Refrigerators and AC units are still almost impossible to run off of solar.  While you can run your Fridge/AC off of Propane/LPG/NG, that is just changing one power source for another and really doing nothing for our environment.

Yet, we essentially had the technology to make solar fridges 100 years ago.  And, if enough effort is made, it may be possible to build them again in the next decade or so.  Hmmm, will people be willing to spend $5-$10K or so to buy solar fridges/AC units that could save them $500 - $1000 / year forever?????  Perhaps more if they then convert the entire house to solar.  Maybe businesses will be willing to make the leap if it saves them $10K / month, unless they have to hire someone to babysit the systems.

And, Home Depot only sells hot items...  If a dozen people want to make a one-time purchase of a set of 12V breakers, Home Depot will just ignore that those people even exist.  And, they will continue to be ignored until someone can prove that there is big profit in catering to the users of RE.

Ever notice that Home Depot sells many more 25 year roofs than 500 year roofs?  Yes, we've known how to make virtually maintenance free roofing for over two millennia (the original Pantheon's roof would still be intact today had it not been stolen by the Fascists and Nazis nearly two millennia after it was put on).

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:55:49 PM by Clifford »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »
And, Home Depot only sells hot items...  If a dozen people want to make a one-time purchase of a set of 12V breakers, Home Depot will just ignore that those people even exist.

My local Ace Hardware (Dale in Fremont CA) will special order electrical parts.

Haven't tried 'em yet on AE stuff like batteries, but have ordered a couple 30A single-phase GFCI panel brakers for travel trailer outlets I installed at each of my houses (and a third one after I fried the GFCI fuction of one by backfeeding through it during a long downed-line power outage and accidentally touching the test button while reconfiguring the cutoff of the non-essential loads).

Also:  One of the guys in the electrical department is into AE and geodesic dome construction, and lurks here on the board sometimes.  (Not the guy who handled my speial order, at least the first time.  Doing those orders is company policy, not a favor from an AE fan.)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 05:31:12 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

ZooT

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 01:23:22 AM »
Geez....ya' better turn some of those lights off or DHS will come after you for hoarding electrons 8^P
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:23:22 AM by ZooT »

TAH

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 02:06:23 PM »
You mentioned that it is very hard to run refridgerators on solar. I have a large chest freezer and a 26 cuft side by side refridgerator, 180 well pump and all the house lighting on solar with a little wind power too. It is also all running on standard AC with all the components on this side of the breaker panel being standard electrical components. I am running modified sinewave inverters and 95% of electrical devices don't care.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:06:23 PM by TAH »

Clifford

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 03:29:03 PM »
Hoarding Electrons?????

I turned my Ford Ranger into a "LowRider" last weekend as I was bringing home a few "used" batteries to add to my system.

And, of course, I'm now hunting for some Sulfuric Acid and Ammonia for various RE projects.....   Looking on the internet, it tends to bring up websites that would certainly be considered suspicious by the Department of Homeland Security (and probably the DEA too).

---- CK ----

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 03:29:03 PM by Clifford »