Author Topic: Harbor Freight 45 Watt Controller  (Read 7092 times)

VisualMonster

Harbor Freight 45 Watt Controller
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:24:33 PM »
I know a few others have the same 45 watt solar panel (15w x3) as I do.  It came with a charge controller, but I think my charge controller might be a bit defective.

When my battery reaches a full charge, the charge controller gets unbearably annoying!  It BEEEPS really really loud, it also makes a grainy rough sound... almost like water running through pipes.  Both of the sounds are extremely annoying.  Turning off the charge controller will stop the annoying sound.  Using my inverter and laptop while charging will also stop the sound (but that's because I'm slightly dropping the voltage so my controller thinks the battery isn't full anymore).

Is this normal?  I'm worried that if I'm ever at work, my charge controller will annoy my neighbors (who live about 10 feet away).

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 09:24:33 PM by (unknown) »

RogerAS

Re: Harbor Freight 45 Watt Controller
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »
VM,

I doubt it's defectve, from the way you dscribe thngs. It sounds like the gurgling is the charge controller flucuating between charging and not charging real fast. If you're worried about it real bad, and you feel confortable doing it try this. Open it up, if possible leaving it connected. Be real careful and listen to it up close, don't poke around inside just look. You should see a little black cylinder with a hole in the top. That's the buzzer. You can then unhook it (controller) from the batteries and PV's and stuff that hole with loose bits of cotton ball, but not too full. Just enough to dampen the movement that makes the sound. That should shut it up pretty good, but still allow you to know it is working. Don't touch anything else without being grounded. Static discharge might kill it. Your other option is to disable it. That will involve some trickery with a soldering iron, but is easy. You could also place a switch between one of the feed pointsfor the buzzer and the buzzer proper. My trace C-40 doesn't have a buzzer, and I really don't see the need for one. A good volt meter is more useful than a buzzer.

Take us a photo with the cover off and I'll try to point the buzzer out.

RogerAS

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:03:58 PM by RogerAS »

Phssthpok

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 04:22:28 PM »
Photo of innards can be found here:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Phssthpok/solar/chitlens013.jpg

That big black roundy -thing is the Piezo speaker (annoying noise-maker).

That noise is an 'Voltage warning' to let you know your bank is either full, or almost dead. Documentation included with the system indicates that the charger will shut down at preset voltages (15/10.5?) to prevent damage, but I'm not sure how much I'd trust it.

Right now I'm only using it to run the 12v CF lights. Even with the unit just hooked up to the batteries and no solar coming in, it will still beep when I turn it on if teh batteries are at full charge. Like you mentioned though, just one small load will shut it up...maybe 10 watts or so. The clock on the radio won't do it, but if I actually turn the radio ON (to hear music) then it shuts right up!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:22:28 PM by Phssthpok »

the desert rat

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 04:38:58 PM »
hi
i have one of these units and it starts regulating at 13.8 volts (a little low)
it starts squealing at about 14.3 volts. it wouldnt charge the battery that high i was backfeeding it with some other panels.  a piece of tape over the sounder was my solution. it can still be heard but not nearly as obnoxious.
scott
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:38:58 PM by the desert rat »

RogerAS

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 04:49:51 PM »
VM,

Here's the buzzer.

That's the noise maker. Just stuff a little cotton in it and see if it doesn't shut up a bunch.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:49:51 PM by RogerAS »

Phssthpok

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 05:15:35 PM »
BAH!

Ye beat me to it!!

But at least I know my photo was of use!  ;-)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:15:35 PM by Phssthpok »

RogerAS

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 06:06:11 PM »
Dude!

Havin 20+ years in the bag as a graphic designer gives me a little edge. That and havin' a fast Mac with Photshop 6 don't hurt either! *-)

Yep, that was the key, your photo. Otherwise I'm just a mouse herder. Yeeehaa boyz, watch this. (Famous last words of a reneck).

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 06:06:11 PM by RogerAS »

Phssthpok

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 06:17:10 PM »
See... what I'm trying to figger out is how your post (posted at 4:49) is ABOVE my post (posted at 4:22)???
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 06:17:10 PM by Phssthpok »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 10:25:34 PM »
I do know some people here have had decent and good results with HF or ICP controllers, but...

I would still change it to another type or brand. Previous experience is all.

Broken record? For under 60W, Morningstar SG-4.

(do read the part about NOT shorting the wires)

I think the quality of SG-4s might be slipping. The Thailand made units seem more reliable than the Singapore made units, but maybe I just got a bad batch or was unlucky.

Not bad either way.

G-

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 10:25:34 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 10:30:02 PM »
PS-  Why would a controller 'beep' if it was working as it should, but the battery was full?  Seems goofy for a solar controller.

G-

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 10:30:02 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

inode buddha

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 04:53:24 AM »
On the other hand, you might be able to use the signal to the buzzer to activate a dump load such as water or earth heating. Yeah, those things are annoying as hell.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 04:53:24 AM by inode buddha »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 06:08:38 PM »
You replied to the article.  He replied to an earlier reply.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:08:38 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 06:09:59 PM »
Might be a bad move, since the buzzer also sounds if the batteries are too LOW.

Has anybody traced out the circuit?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:09:59 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

coldspot

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 02:10:28 AM »
inode buddha-

"earth heating"

I'd like to hear more about this!

i'm doing my part for Global Warming with

my windmill lighting up lights in backyard!  lol

:)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 02:10:28 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

Old F

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 05:11:44 AM »
VM

I got two of the kits. And one box works and the other was DOA.

Haven't had time to get on the bench to find out whats up.

There really more of a voltage indicator  then what I would call a charge controller.

I have only had time for quick look inside but from that and what I got from the laughable manual.

There are no blocking diodes.  When the sun goes down you have to unhook the battery.

The good news is with this kind of  LED voltage indicator you can tap  lets say the 14.2 V LED for a signal to disconnect the panels using a relay .   I soon as I can find the time I plan to mod mine and will post what I  come up with .  

Old F

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:11:44 AM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

ZooT

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »
My HF controller started buzzing when the sun went behind some clouds while trying to charge a VERY dead battery that I scavenged out of a dead UPS.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 12:27:20 PM by ZooT »

VisualMonster

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 04:34:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone... I got a lot of feedback!

I was about to do that cotton/tape idea, but I ran into this a few minutes ago:

http://www.kenneke.com/hfcharge.html

Looks like this will take out the beep completely.  I'll try this as soon as the sun goes down and use that cotton/tape idea as a backup.

I'll post back again in a week or so to give an update on the fix...  =)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 04:34:07 PM by VisualMonster »

VisualMonster

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 08:24:39 AM »
Ok, time for an update.

I pulled the end off the beeping round thing and it worked for a day or so, but then it seems like the charge controller died.  The "charging" LED did not light up on the 2nd or 3rd day...  and I found the battery wasn't being charged anymore.  

So.... I bought another 45w panel and am now using the charge controller that came with it for both sets of panels.  I used A LOT of tape to cover that beeper in the new controller... but I think I'm eventually going to replace it since it is still pretty annoying.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 08:24:39 AM by VisualMonster »

myronid

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »
I have two of these kits tied together with a 1200 watt inverter and a 115 Amp deep cycle marine batt.  I have been getting between 96 and 313 watts per day from this design.  I use this to power my living room; TV, laptop, and Dennon Audio system.  On a sunny weekend I can get over 26 amps a day into the batt.  (If anyone cares, I can get pictures out there for anyone to see my setup.)

In my case, the buzzer was telling me there was too much voltage a the PV.   I burnt up my diodes and the MOSFET after a full day in the sun and a full batt.

I'll get you all better details as soon as I find my notes but here is what I remember about my controller I tore apart and traced:

It is more of a voltage regulator than a charger.  As long as the voltage of the PV is above the batt voltage, it will charge.  If the PV voltage exceeds a threshold it shorts to ground through a simple MOSFET circuit.  

There is diode protection.  2 in a series immediate after the connection post.  If the switch is on the PV+ (after the 2 diodes) is then tied to the Batt+.  The PV- and Batt- are common when the switch is on.

In short, find a real charger made for PV applications.  I replaced mine with a Manson found on e-bay. It has good historical and current data for display and can be remote  switched off/on.  

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 01:30:26 PM by myronid »