Author Topic: Kyocera panels finally on line  (Read 1223 times)

Bigbear

Kyocera panels finally on line
« on: August 07, 2006, 02:05:48 PM »
Finally got moved into the offgrid home, still a few bugs, but otherwise very pleased.  The price of gas finally nudged me into completing the solar panel rack and getting them installed.  I used an old satellite dish with a few mods, for the rack and a 4" pipe cemented in the ground for the base.  With the 4 130 Kyocera in full sun I have seen 29.5 amps going in, according to the morning star controller.  The 6 batteries (Watch Dog sump pump backup)are working for the needs we have, but I see after a couple hours of sun they are charged up and the input amps go down.  Hoping to buy 2 or 4 more batteries this week and have more capacity.  Sure is nice not haveing to go out at 4:30 in the morning to start the generator so the wife can get ready for work, not to mention the savings in fuel.  We are able to run lights at night, TV, and a fan all night (wife thing).  During the day, I hook up a battery charger for the well pump, charge the laptops, cell phones, and run the sweeper, and still have a full battery bank by the time the panels are in shade.  It seems like the panels are putting out way more than the storage cap. of my batteries.  Also got the AirX wind generator up last night, no wind yet, but storms heading in tonight, so maybe there will be some wind, can't wait to see it work.  Thanks to all you guys for your wealth of knowledge everything is going great.  OH, question on my ground system,  my generator, battery, inverter build is made of upright logs buried in the ground with rail road ties for a roof and covered with dirt, and all around the edges.  I mounted the AirX on top of the structure for extra height.  I spaced out 3 ground rods around the building and ran a bare copper wire (one pc) all the way around and connected the wire at each rod.  Then connected all grounds to this, solar, wind, batteries, house AC, etc.  Is this ok, seems like it should work, I know nothing is fool proof with lightning.  After hooking up the ground from the batteries, I noticed the fuzz in the TV was gone, and seemed to get better reception, maybe just wishfull thinking.  Thanks, BEAR
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 02:05:48 PM by (unknown) »

Vtbsr

Re: Kyocera panels finally on line
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:17:51 PM »
I would also put a lightning arrester on the solar and wind. They look like a small tin can that shunts any volt spikes to ground.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:17:51 PM by Vtbsr »

12volt dan

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »
Cool Bear, it's nice to see a new solar dude enjoy the benifits of free power. I also have an old dish with about 700 watts on it and an Air-x on the roof. Don't put a lightning arrestor on the windmilll though. The regulator/chip is in the head and will not read the batteries properly. I havn't been real thrilled with my Air-x, I like the solar better but I should have a tower to get into the wind properly.

What are you using to move your array?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 06:48:57 PM by 12volt dan »

Bigbear

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 07:41:32 AM »
Right now, we just move the panels by hand, when time is a little more free, I want to build a remote control of some kind.  I know what you mean about the AirX, mine has not moved since we put it up.  But, we have not had any real wind since then.  I located a 30 foot plus light standard, and plan on using it to gain some more height, should help.  It's quite a challenge living offgrid in the woods, but the rewards are well worth it.  BEAR
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 07:41:32 AM by Bigbear »

12volt dan

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 07:15:03 AM »
On that controller, If that's an old dish why not connect the actuator up? It will work on 12volt just fine and as for a controller?

Might I suggest one from here http://www.redrok.com/electron.htm

I'm not endorsing this guy it's just a cheep means of automating the system. Some guys arn't thrilled with them but they seem to  work well enough. I have had one installed on mine and it handeled it close enough to the sun to be worth it.

It's fried right now (my falt) and it's summer so there's no rush to buy till the fall :^)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 07:15:03 AM by 12volt dan »