Author Topic: 60 amp limit  (Read 1400 times)

Phssthpok

60 amp limit
« on: September 09, 2006, 02:05:36 AM »
{rant on}

Can someone here explain to me why no one makes a solar charge controler in anything larger than a 60 amp maximum output capacity rating? Why not a 100 amp unit?

I'm pushing close to 1Kw (rated) with my gathered panels, and I really don't like the idea of having to shell out for two, or even three charge controllers just to keep from frying something. (No, I'm not running all these panels right now....just two Unisolar 64's on a 16A CC to keep the bank topped off. Most of my panels are in dark storage.)

I know I could go to a 24V or 48V storage system, and wire the panels in series, but I'd rather K*I*S*S and not have to worry about losses with a voltage converter just to run my 12V goodies. Plus I'd have to lose out on a few of my panels. (I have a couple oddball single panels, that I wouldn't be able to pair up properly)

{end rant}

« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 02:05:36 AM by (unknown) »

coldspot

Re: 60 amp limit
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:55:25 PM »
Flexcharge-

NCHC-Amps-Volts

go all the way up to 2000A

and 12 to 48 V

5 year warrenty

I only have the

NC25A/12

But little use so far,

to many toys and stuff

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 08:55:25 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 09:55:42 PM »
Your storage system can still be at 12V and you can put 60A @ 48V into an MX60. You planning on an array over 2.5 KW? MPPT is supposed to be good for mismatched panels. You might not get every watt out of them but if you wired two 12V 80W panels and two 12V 100W panels in series, I bet you'd see close to 350W out of them on a cold day.

I was surfing around this morning, looking for panels close to my BPSX170s Voc. It freaked me out the difference in Voc and Vpm between brands, and even between the same manufacturer. There's weird crap like 18V and 36V panels being manufacured today, mostly for grid-tie, I presume. The conspiricy theorist in me thinks this is a great way to obsolete all the single or paired panels sold four or six years ago.

It would be of great benefit to the consumer if all this stuff was standardized. The guys who build charge controllers could focus on a standard Vpm, the consumer could compare apples-to-apples on the different brands of solar panel, and a system could be upgraded with similar components years later. However, it appears that there is more profit to be made in producing a hodge-podge variety of solar panel. Strange days indeed.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 09:55:42 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

altosack

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 10:40:23 PM »
Your storage system can still be at 12V and you can put 60A @ 48V into an MX60.

Nope. Charge controllers are limited by amperage more than power because the wires (and many other components) inside are limited by amperage more than power. It would have to put out 240A into 12V, and having taken apart MX-60's to install and trouble-shoot them, I can tell you they don't have 4/0 wiring inside capable of 240A (the terminals accept 2ga wire).

Strange days indeed.

Yes, I have been wondering about that myself. Yeah, I know that with high-voltage series strings that the exact voltage of each module is not as important, but that still doesn't answer the question why not standardize like it used to be ? Just because you're a conspiracy theorist doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Dave

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 10:40:23 PM by altosack »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:04:06 PM »
Standardized.  Might be too soon. 'Newer concept' related to manufacturing.

Beta or VHS? DVD-R or DVD+R?  6 or 12V for cars... 42V?

I expect it will standardize eventually.

G-

« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 07:04:06 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

John II

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 08:30:07 PM »
Hello Phssthpok :

Actually there are quite a few larger charge controllers on the market such as the following...

http://www.solarelectricsupply.com/Charge_Controllers/PV-2-Center/charge-control-center.html

But they are fairly expensive.

I happen to have two brand new 120 amp charge controllers still in box that I have never used. It's a different brand then the above one, and If you'r interested I can give you the details on them. I would sell for a lot less then I paid for them as I don't think I'm going to use them.

Email me at :

jjones2(at)inter-linc.net

(note.. replace the (at) with ( @ )

Sincerely,

John II ( S.W. Missouri )

« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:30:07 PM by John II »