Author Topic: Battery Hookup Question  (Read 1006 times)

ruddycrazy

Battery Hookup Question
« on: September 23, 2006, 08:27:23 AM »
Hiya guy's

I recently got another 24 batteries for connecting up to my house array they are 2 volt 275 amp/hour and I'll hook them up in 2 arrays of 24 volts to suit my sa32 selectronic sinewave inverter. Now my house array is already setup with 14 kaneka thin film panels going thru an Aerl-900b mppt into 12 600amp/hour sonnenschein batteries. I'll also be buying 4 175 watt solar panels to add to my solar array but I won't be able to put the extra panels thru the mppt as it will be more than the rated spec's. Now I'm thinking of setting the new array up as a seperate unit and just connect the new battery array at the inverter input and install a throw switch so I can charge either battery array via my 80 amp staff& stanbury battery charger.

Now by hooking up the batteries at the inverter input a good solution or a bad one guy's as I don't want to stuff anything up.

Cheers Bryan  

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 08:27:23 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Battery Hookup Question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 05:38:24 AM »
Bryan, I am a little confused, I personally see nothing wrong with two systems connected at a common point (now the purists will argue otherwise). All of this is provided you have adequate fusing.

You say a throw switch to charge either bank, is that in series with the charger output, or a means of isolating one bank or the other. To charge a bank in isolation it needs to be isolated from the other.

If you mean a throw switch to select one bank or the other at the inverter imput, not a good idea, (a) it would have to be a substantial switch (b) you would loose power while throwing the switch, most likley. A make before break switch in this situation would be highly undesirable.

Assuming I have misenterprited your post ignore all of the above.

allan down under

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:38:24 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.