Author Topic: solar panel help  (Read 1080 times)

RayW

solar panel help
« on: October 13, 2006, 05:11:58 PM »
I have a 5 watt solar panel that given to me because it did not work.

After trouble shooting the panel I found that where the positive output wire connected to the panel the connection had corroded due to water entering the connection and was not making connection at the point where the wire was connected to the solar cell.

I tried to reconnect the wire but cannot get any solder to bond to the cell.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to attach the wire to the cell?

RayW

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 05:11:58 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: solar panel help
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:56:01 AM »
Make sure its been cleaned properly otherwise the solder will not stick. Also try roughening the connection with some glass paper, I find that sometimes helps.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 11:56:01 AM by AbyssUnderground »

fungus

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:01:19 PM »
what type of panel is this? Is it an amorphous panel i.e black with lines running down it or is it a crystalline panel i.e does it have individual cells connected togther? If you are soldering to the ribbon coming out apparently it is good to coat the ribbon in WD-40(lubricant) or somthing similar before soldering to stop the ribbon oxidising.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 12:01:19 PM by fungus »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:37:31 PM »
RayW;

Make sure you're using silver solder. Normal rosin core solder isn't made to stick to the panels very well and the melting point is much higher and you could hurt the connection points.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 01:37:31 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

RayW

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 07:14:08 PM »
Hi Angus;

It is an amorphous panel.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 07:14:08 PM by RayW »

Baz

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »
Silver solder is the high melting point stuff. I would think you might manage with the low melting point stuff sold for model railway whitemetal kits.

have you confirmed that it works withthe wire held on this point? as teh contact might have been burnt out already.

The conductive glue sold for repairing car rear window heater strips might be an alternative.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:34:55 PM by Baz »

ZooT

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:38:37 PM »
I'm in the proccess of soldering leads to amorphous panels and found that the solder will stick, but not real well(you can pull them off), so I'm soldering the leads to the panel, and then putting a blob of epoxy over the connection points to strengthen the physical bond.....

I got the idea from some small amorphous yard lights....they used hot glue to strengthen the joints....

Maybe someone with more experience with this might interject, and show me if there's a error in what I'm doing?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 12:38:37 PM by ZooT »