Author Topic: grid interactive inverter  (Read 1081 times)

eraser1

grid interactive inverter
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:45:27 PM »
i want to connect my solar panel and wind gen up to the grid with a interactive inverter ,  but the only ones avalible in australia are the sunny boy and the Fronius inverters the require a voltage input of 150 volts + , i want to start with my current setup then expand later by adding more panels ,

To use one of the inverters could i use my current system which is 24 volt that goes to a sine wave inverter than take the output of the inverter and put it through a bridge rectifir and a couple of caps to change the ac into smoothed dc this would give me 240 volt dc ,and feed this into a grid interactive inverter.

This would be a tempery setup untill i can afford to add more panels to my system.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:45:27 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: grid interactive inverter
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 02:48:03 PM »
That setup will be way too inefficient to make any use of. You are better off waiting until you can afford the panels and stick with your 24v setup until then.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 02:48:03 PM by AbyssUnderground »

dbcollen

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »
Outback makes several models of grid interactive inverters in two volt/hz combos

120/240v 60hz. and 230v 50hz versions with inputs 12, 24, and 48 volt inputs.

WWW.OUTBACKPOWER.COM

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 05:26:36 PM by dbcollen »

altosack

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 08:18:37 PM »
Do you already have a battery-based system ?  What voltage is your wind generator ?

Keep in mind that if you want to have have a high-voltage grid-tie inverter for solar, this will not work to send wind power to the grid; you would have to have another inverter for that.

Even if you don't already have a battery-based system (and particularly if you do), if you want to connect both your solar panels and wind gen to the grid, the simplest way will be to have a low-voltage battery based system (the same voltage for each); otherwise, you will have to have separate inverters for solar and wind. Believe me, the battery bank (if you don't have it already) will cost much less than the second inverter, and you'll get more use out of it, since it will clamp your wind generator better and provide backup for when the grid's down.

Sunny Boy (and I think Fronius, too, but I'm not sure) make battery-based grid-tie inverters; if your local RE dealer says no, find another dealer. In any case, you can order one from overseas, such as the Outback mentioned in another post.

Also keep in mind that RE is not a money-making proposition. Don't buy a special inverter just for that unless you need another inverter anyway or unless you have a big wind generator (or unless you just want to, which is often the best reason of all).

Dave

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:18:37 PM by altosack »