Author Topic: Frame recommendation needed  (Read 1038 times)

pekar

Frame recommendation needed
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:25:10 PM »
I need to combine two 4"X 8" solar panels in one frame.  Is there a ready source of aluminum frame available? I was thinking there might be some window channel or something people have used successfully.  

The panels are 1/8 thick or so, but I might back them with a thin sheet of aluminum to make it more durable and support the seam in the glass. So the channel should be a bit wider than 1/8" if possible.

I'd like to keep this light and durable and not use wood if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Pekar

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 03:25:10 PM by (unknown) »

maker of toys

Re: Frame recommendation needed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 10:06:43 PM »
4 inches by 8 inches?  seems like a lot of trouble for small panels.

some big-box hardware stores sell 1/2" and 1" anodized aluminum U and L channel, plus anodized strips and other goodies. Check near where they have garage cabinets and pegboard.  Come to that, some track for sliding glass/ shower doors might work, too. Add some of the round plastic beading used to mount window screens in aluminum frames and you're on your way.

Remember to use stainless hardware to avoid galvanic corrosion. (also be real careful about letting copper remain in contact with aluminum in the presence of water. . . !)

remember that aluminum and glass move at different rates as the ambient temperature changes, and leave plenty of slop.

Others will have to advise on the pros/cons of backing the panels with anything. . . . there might be a heat build-up question there.

-Dan

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:06:43 PM by maker of toys »