Author Topic: Fixing a Solar Panel?  (Read 2478 times)

Brian H

Fixing a Solar Panel?
« on: January 05, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »
 As I was discussing my new found interest in RE with a friend at work, he informed me that he had "a bunch" of solar panels at home in his garage. I was of course, dumbstruck... He had scavenged them a number of years ago. He and I both used to work in a factory that was Japanese-owned. One day, while cleaning up the warehouse, one of the Japanese engineers instructed him to throw away a 16 ft fiberglass boat that was covered with solar panels. He asked if he could have it, and was given permission to take it home. Well, he scavenged most of the solar panels, and threw the boat away. And the panels have been sitting in his barn ever since. Several of the engineers had kids in college, so we assume it may have been a school project, but we really don't know, but it's a distinct possibility that these panels were originally from Japan.

He brought one in for me to look at, at which point I discovered there's something wrong with it. In bright sunlight, it was registering 0 volts. It also reads infinite on the ohms scale with the test leads connected both ways. I thought maybe one of the leads had been yanked loose, so I pried the plastic cover off the back where the leads are connected, but that isn't the problem. The foil strips are still connected to the leads, and checking for continuity at the foil strips I'm still reading and open circuit.

I have absolutely no information on these panels, there are no labels or marks on this one at all. It measures 15"x42", and there are 36 individual cells. Judging from the size, I'm guessing that it is in the 50W range...? It appears that all 36 cells are connected in series. The backing plate is a sheet of 1/8 inch aluminum. The individual cells appear to be sandwiched between a white rubbery substance and a clear rubbery substance. There is no frame, nor glass. I can't see anyplace where the foil strips are broken, although they are blistered in a few spots. If you notice, in the upper right corner, I started trying to separate "sandwich" from the aluminum plate by carefully sliding a putty knife between them, which is apparently causing some seperation between the solar cell and the clear sheet(or maybe the cell is fracturing...?). I've had no luck at all seperating the clear covering from the white backing material. From the feel of it, they seem to be made from the same material. Before I proceed any further, and possibly damage more cells, I thought I'd ask for some advice/suggestions from you guys. Any help is appreciated.

Brian H

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:33:44 PM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: Fixing a Solar Panel?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:55:09 AM »
If there's no glass, maybe you can poke your meter leads down through the rubbery substance until they touch the interconnect ribbon. If you can get to the beginning and the end of the series string, check for 18V or so.  Maybe the wires are just broken between the ends of the cells and the back of the panel where they appear to exit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:55:09 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 02:45:29 PM »
What Volvo said.  I'd focus around the lifted section, but expect it's not easily fixed.

Look for poor solder joints or cracks in the cells.

The good news is it is not a common failure. The others in the batch are probably OK.

Add some silicone where the seperation occured to any working units.

Good Luck!

G-

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:45:29 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Brian H

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:42:43 AM »
Thanks Volvo,

I think I'll try drilling some small holes in the clear covering to access the foil strips that connect all the cells. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Brian H

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:42:43 AM by Brian H »

Digger

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 09:39:15 PM »
 I own a couple of solar panels and the foilstrips that connect to the positive terminals are corroded and causing a open circuit from the cells to the terminal

Anyboby have any suggestions on how best to fix this problem.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:39:15 PM by Digger »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:36:23 AM »
Clean, re-solder, clean off the flux residue, coat with an anti corrosion paste.

G-
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:36:23 AM by ghurd »

Digger

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »
 Do you think I could resolder a wire to the foilstrip or would it be better to try and solder another foilstrip to it? Thanks for the first reply.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 02:34:12 PM by Digger »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »
Tinned strips may be better than un-tinned wire, because moisture can get past the insulation.

If I used wire in a place like that, it would be striped and tinned.

Not sure it would make any difference other than that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 02:52:09 PM by ghurd »

Digger

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 09:11:44 PM »

I soldered a # 12 uninsulated wire to the foilstrip with 5% silver solder then connected it to the positve terminal and it worked, Iam getting a proper voltage reading now. Was 3.5 volt now is 17 volts. I had to remove the juction box from the panel and remove some of the backing to expose the foilstrip. Then resiliconed the box back on after repair.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:11:44 PM by Digger »