Author Topic: moving solar panels  (Read 1100 times)

kfreiter

moving solar panels
« on: March 04, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »
is it possible to have solarpanels on say the top of a trailler travelling acrosst he country. Would it still work to generate power to charge the batteries?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 05:52:13 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: moving solar panels
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
If properly mounted to withstand the wind when moving then it will certainly work but remember that the panels would be best lying flat when moving to gather most sun.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:03:43 AM by AbyssUnderground »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 12:49:53 PM »
The added fuel that would be consumed from towing a trailer behind a car is likely to out weight any extra out put the solar panels could provide.  By this i mean using the car alternator to charge the batteries whilst on the move would be more effient.  Unless you are likely to be stopped for long periods of time.  Have you considered folding panels that you can tuck in the car when moving and open out once stopped?  Even maybe mounting the panels to the roof of the car with suckers and straps or under a sunroof?

Regards

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:49:53 PM by Jon Miller »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 02:37:34 AM »
He did not give any info what or why etc... unless I missed something.

My geuss though is a travel trailer/camper going NY to AZ on summer vacation.

Weight and other things would not be a factor if so is the case since the panels need hauled anyway for the desert camping trip rather in use or not durring the drive.

If mounted flat to a roof in a safe manor in direct sun I think all should be fine and provide however much power they make while using no extra feul to do so. The vehicle alernator would use some feul to make same power the panels would make for free. Having hauled and charged L16P trojans (360amphr batteries) plus others in my P/U truck I dought the alternator would be using all that much extra feul though to equal a few panels.

I have thought of mounting my 36watt panel on my little motorhome roof for the same reason. It has to be hauled to be there when I get there, and it might as well be making power on the way since I will stop many times and be using that power durrng the drive. :)

So far I haven't used the motorhome since I got it home last year.

Excess wind speeds over a moving vehicle is my concern but should be doable. If driving  70mph into a 30mph head wind, that is 100mph winds over the solar panel!!

I probably would not do that in a motorhome or towing a large trailer, but 50-60mph driving is normal and you gotta watch out for those sudden gusts of wind!!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:37:34 AM by nothing to lose »

pepa

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:53:53 AM »
My wife and i have a large two horse trailor/camper that we use for going to three day horse shows around the country. i have mounted several solar panels flat on the roof to keep two deep cycle batteries charged for operating fans for the horses and lights when camping. three years and a lot of miles and no problems, pepa.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 07:53:53 AM by pepa »