Author Topic: looking for post  (Read 1429 times)

pigpen

looking for post
« on: March 07, 2007, 04:29:52 AM »
Has any one tried this screen print? http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/5708/solarcellplans.pdf

it looks quiet interesting and simple. There must be a catch some where.I am concidering trying it to see for my self. If any one has tried it please reply.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:29:52 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: looking for post
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 07:14:16 AM »
For the ones they actually tell how to build, check the math by paulh,

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/6/28/64740/2752

The homebrew 'printed' solar seems a pipe dream except for a patent, and an offer to sell some plans and videos to build T shirt printer.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:14:16 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:30:19 AM »
 For some reason I keep getting knocked off

my computer doesn't want to read the adobe link

so I'd rather not pursue this...much easier to

just buy panels in the long run.

I figure any day now places like RAC

(Rent A Center) will be offering small 12 watt

solar panels.....(rent with option to buy and own)

$5000 and 2 years later you could own enough

solar panels to run a small TV.  LOL !

( :>) Norm

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:30:19 AM by Norm »

jimjjnn

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:42:16 AM »
my computer a;so, locks up . I get the 1st page and then get the MS message to send trouble report to MS
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:42:16 AM by jimjjnn »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:16:30 AM »
Trying to open it also crashed my browser.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:16:30 AM by AbyssUnderground »

pigpen

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 08:38:22 AM »
It took me several trys to get the whole book, but it does go into details how to print the cells and what chem. are needed. It the book that fuelless power sell on there sight and on ebay.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:38:22 AM by pigpen »

Darren73

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:43:59 AM »
My system had no problems with it, if you get problems, right click the link and choose save target as, save it to your pc and open it directly with acrobat, sometimes the web version of acrobat will screw up when the normal acrobat won't.

Regards

Darren

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:43:59 AM by Darren73 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:50:21 PM »
(Pigpen, You just asked a normal question and that is fine.

I'm not slamming you.  It's 100% them.

Not to mention, better instructions are on the internet for free, with genuine good photos. And they tell the limitations of it too.)

Look again. Closer. What are the instructions for the Japanese patent printed cells?

Maybe I am grouchy right now.  I obviously have some spare time.

Seems like a product for TomW's list.

I didn't see anything related to actually screen printing a modern panel's PN junction.

Printing rosin can be done with an artists paint brush.

I do not see a photo of printing a solar cell junction, or one being printed.

I do not consider amorphous printed or even `cells'.

A couple quotes, with my first thoughts.

"I hear you may be able to make them without a nitrogen atmosphere if not try special gas companies or make some yourself, it is supposed to be nonflammable."

(`I hear...' and `it is supposed to be...' is fine when I didn't pay for the information)

"I have heard that the Japanese cells are about 95 of the American made silicon cells that is very expensive process."  (uh... what?)

"The chemicals that are mentioned in the patent are very easy to get. You can buy them in any QTY from any Chemical supply company look one up in your yellow page phone book. Or check online, search for Chemical Supply Shops or companies."

(Who would have thought to look there?)

"You should have no trouble building the cells that will be described in the following pages"

(if memory serves me correctly, they make about 5ma at peak power in the standard configuration shown by nearly antique `Lindsey' reprint books)

(and my favorite...)

"If you want to learn about Screen Printing we sell a VHS Video for only $29.95.  Please send $4 for shipping."

My next thought is `word' did not find a problem with the punctuation.

"You should have no trouble building the cells that will be described in the following pages"

(if memory serves me correctly, they make about 5ma at peak power)

I personally find it deceptive, if not offensive, to use Matrix's photos of screening flux on a cell as an example of a `screen printing' a PN junction.

I wonder if Bernard knows this outfit copyrighted his photos?

G-

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:50:21 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

renewablehome

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 02:55:27 AM »
Whole lot of inaccuracies in that booklet.Some major ones.Solar isnt expensive because silicon is costly to process,it is expensive because we dont have enough businesses TO process it.Competition is going to drive price per Watt down but the inefficiency of those cells -1 1/4 of production cells-esentially renders the entire process as a waste of time.I ts really just walking back in time to drag up what was discovered about 120 years ago in 1889.

http://encyclobeamia.solarbotics.net/articles/solar_cell.html

Also said silicon ingots are ruined by even the slightest contaminant?

Gotta be kidding.Ingots are cooked in assembly line furnaces and are open air cooled.

Dont know but if someone wanted to re-invent the wheel why not try re-inventing the modern wheel?

Deconstruct current cells and try to micro-produce.Build a small cooker from larger plans and scale it down.

You can get tails and broken scrap PV grade silicon wafers or chunks,use that and figure out a guerilla phos. and boron doping process.A wire saw would be a huge expense and dont see how you get around that but look at the new concentrator panels.Those are just palstic mirrors to improve the intensity of light hitting the cells,reducing the amount of silicon needed.How about concentrators that bend the red wavelength to a higher intensity to improve it even more?

Bah,dont know,improve on whats current i guess,dont revisit the past and re-package it.

If you are revisiting to re-engineer,that would be something but dont see anything new in this booklet.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:55:27 AM by renewablehome »