Author Topic: panel seems to be going dead  (Read 1442 times)

terramir

panel seems to be going dead
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:21:34 PM »
Okies my first panel is fine, however this is totally worse than I thought, sure I got wire problems but in reality I got a panel problem.

What causes a panel to give the correct open circuit voltage Around 19V, the correct short circuit current 3.5A +. With variances the same as the other panel, however at times it produces no current whatsoever, while the other one is producing happily ahead. The current varies from normal which is slightly lower than the other good panel to nada, zilch, nothing.

I just want some hints on what could be causing this, because I want to check the simple stuff first before I tear down that panel and take it apart.

And if I do take it apart, any hints on tracking down any bad cells?

terramir

PS: Different topic please dun close this new thread since this is a totally seperate issue.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 10:21:34 PM by (unknown) »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: panel seems to be going dead
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 04:35:38 PM »
Are all of your electrical connections soldered?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:35:38 PM by RP »

drdongle

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:11:52 PM »
It sounds like one panel has an intermitant open circuit, possably caused as the panel expands and contracts. Are they commercial or home brew panels?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:11:52 PM by drdongle »

terramir

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:40:58 PM »
homebrew, made by me; Albeit not the cells lol.

But if while I'm getting almost zilch on current it still is giving me the battery voltage + diode and on the short circuit current it gives full power but if you guys think it's the connections seems like I'm gonna have to take that panel down. Oh well disconnected for now that's a project for next weekend. To cut all the silicone off the mounting plate and take them down.

Although I am open to other ideas.

terramir

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 06:40:58 PM by terramir »

hydrosun

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
What's the voltage of the panel when not connected to the battery? If you're getting full short curcuit curent, it doesn't sound like a  bad connection. It sounds like the voltage output of the panel is lower than the battery when it is getting charged by the other panel. How many cells in series? Are there bypass diodes? I'm trying to think of scenario's that would give low voltage but but full current.  Wiring them wrong, in parallel instead of series, cells too hot, not enough cells, one or more cells bypassed or short circuited. Those are the things to look for to track down the problem.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 10:23:43 AM by hydrosun »

terramir

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 01:12:58 PM »
18.88V and the other panel(then good one) has 18.98 V when there connected to the battery they both get dragged down to the battery voltage but intermittenly this one gives me zilch on current. and I dun know why?

terramir

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 01:12:58 PM by terramir »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »
Im going to go with the bad connection one because I had a bad connection on one of my panels that made this happen. A quick solder and it was fixed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 01:14:25 PM by AbyssUnderground »