Author Topic: Air space or liquid  (Read 1139 times)

pigpen

Air space or liquid
« on: April 20, 2007, 07:16:51 PM »
I just finished three panels that i have about 1/8" air space between the cells and top plate. I belive i read on here some where that you can fill the space with a liquid to help keep the heat down. I am wondering if i should use water or a mineral spirt of some kind? Any and all comments will be appreceated.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 07:16:51 PM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Air space or liquid
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 02:16:04 PM »
pigpen;

Not sure what type of panels you're talking about. Solar panels maybe since you write about cells. If so then, no, you wouldn't want to put any type of liquid there will do a couple things.

Lower ability for sunshine to wade through

ruin cells as the fluid migrates into cells:-((

If these are Solar panels for heating assistance then the working fluid should be something that would be freeze/ heat resistant. Mineral oil is a good choice , but a bit expenesive. Glycol is a better choic with respect the freezeing and cost but thermal transfreance isn't as good as Mineral oil would be , plus most glycol mixes are poison.

There is another possibility of gathering the watse glycerin from some close who is homebrewing biodiesel ,but this you would need to make sure is at least 75% cleaned up from the methanol, if you go this route , use the heat of the summer to help boil the methanol out of the glycerin , then run a titrate to find if there is any menthaonl left.

Back to solar panels::: If these are indeed PV type panels it would better to cool the backside of the panels by way of moving air to move the heat.

Do you have any pics you get show, we can help further.

Cheers

Bruce s

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:16:04 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

pigpen

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 02:34:11 AM »
Yes these are pv panels for electricty. Sorry i should have been more precise. No i don't have any pictures yet.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 02:34:11 AM by pigpen »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 02:18:24 PM »
pigpen;

No worries:-)

On the electric panels you really don't want water near the front of the panels. You could as another thread is informing, mist or soaker hose the bak of the panels to keep them cool during the summer months, this will help with them from becoming too hot and shortening the output of life span.

Hope this helps

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:18:24 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard