Author Topic: Flat plate solar orientation  (Read 2068 times)

cyberbob

Flat plate solar orientation
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:24:43 AM »
Hi,

Flat plate solar collectors come usually in two versions, horizontal and vertical. This  is the orientation they have to be mounted and the in- outputs on the side of the panel.

Now, what will happen if you buy a vertical panel and mount it horizontally? Will it still work effectively?

It shouldn't matter that much with the serpented types (tubing is laid in a meandering way inside the panel) IMO. What about the type with the tubes running in parallel?

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:24:43 AM by (unknown) »

Waterlogged

Re: Flat plate solar orientation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
If you are looking for someone to read your mind, I will try.

A solar hot water heater is usually designed to take advantage of the fact that heat rises. If it uses a pump, then it will probably also use a temperature sensor that should be at the top. If the panel is the lowest part of the system, then it MAY work installed on its side. Efficiency will probably suffer if it is installed improperly. Rod.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:09:16 AM by Waterlogged »

cyberbob

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
'A solar hot water heater is usually designed to take advantage of the fact that heat rises'

That is probably right for a thermosyphon system.

I want to install a pumped system instead. I thought these panels work mostly on heat conduction. The water that passes through them carries the heat away.

But my question has anyone tried using these on the side?

I think it will come down to the flow of the water. Will the flow be the same through every part of the panel if mounted side ways?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:06:26 AM by cyberbob »

Nando

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »
I am, ALWAYS, wondering how people send messages expecting the reader to READ the sender mind to be able to respond to the presented message.

I think that we could respond in equivalent terms to make sure that the sender as well learn to read the respondent mind.

For this reason alone, here is my suggestion :

t bt to dcd wh t ntl the rar trh .

Nando

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:06:47 AM by Nando »

cyberbob

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 11:20:43 AM »
I mainly use forums like these for other peoples experiences. So that is what I am after. Not someones opinion. Unless your an expert in thermodynamics.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:20:43 AM by cyberbob »

Nando

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 11:43:45 AM »
STILL;

You can say I need an Expert in thermodynamics but I can not express what I want to solve.

Your attitude will take you NOWHERE.

yes I know thermodynamics.

Nando

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:43:45 AM by Nando »

cyberbob

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 02:28:32 PM »
What is this? Nando, I don't know what you mean so I pose again my question in the case someone has had the experience.

In a pumped solar thermal system with flat plate collectors which are normally vertical ly positioned, can I mount the panel on its side instead without compromising its efficiency? The panels are usually rectangle shape and mounted with the short side up.

Has anyone mounted these long side up and still ended up with a working system?

The thermodynamics came into it because I'm sure with enough knowledge it can be determined if the efficiency of the panel is compromised.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 02:28:32 PM by cyberbob »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »
Well, now we know it's pumped and we can also guess that it's a wet system as opposed to a solar air heater so we're getting closer.

Do you want to lay the collector on its edge with the panel still standing up but with the pipes running horizontally (stacked above each other) or on its back with the pipes running horizontally along side each other?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 05:43:58 PM by RP »

cyberbob

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 02:52:04 AM »
Sorry to have been vague about the flat plate collector system, I live in a climate where the air type is unheard of (or anything else exotic).

Yes I want to lay the collector on its side but still have it tilting at the sun. The internal tubes (that run in parallel inside the collector) are then running horizontally.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 02:52:04 AM by cyberbob »

elvin1949

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 06:26:15 AM »
 Still need it's design ie

serpentine or header manifold.

If serpentine it will work.

If it is of the Header-Manifold type,i would say NO.

later

elvin
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 06:26:15 AM by elvin1949 »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 08:07:33 AM »
Hi,

If its a closed loop system and its pumped, I don't see why it would make any difference which way you mount it for either the parallel tubes or the serpentine tube arrangement.

But, drain back systems need to be mounted so that they drain when the pump stops, and systems that use thermosyphoning have to be arranged so that the less dense heated water can rise and flow out the top of the collector.

Gary

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 08:07:33 AM by GaryGary »

cyberbob

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 02:28:52 PM »
You might think why does he want to mount them on its side? Well, I have restricted space on the roof height wise. Also the solar panels which are tall and narrow are more popular so prices are down.

Thanks everyone.

Btw vacuum tubes are ok to mount them on the side, aren't they? I have seen a picture of an installation with them mounted on the side.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 02:28:52 PM by cyberbob »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 11:55:32 PM »
I think those have to have a certain amount of tilt to work.  The heat pipes use gravity to return condensed liquid back to the evaporator section
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 11:55:32 PM by RP »

cyberbob

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 04:00:33 AM »
Yes you could be right. But a proper heatpipe uses internally a wick to absorb the liquid which means the pipes can be used in any position. I guess solar vacuum tubes are not constructed like this unless they for the International Space station;-)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:00:33 AM by cyberbob »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 01:54:16 PM »
Also:  It's good to mount the panel and run the circulation in such a direction that air/gas bubbles work their way out by gravity.  Otherwise you can end up with vapor lock in panels with wide tubes, requiring extra pumping pressure to move the fluid.

With parallel straight-line tubes it only takes a slight tilt.  With a serpentine you really need to mount it so the main runs are horizontal.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:54:16 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »