Author Topic: for you ft collins guys  (Read 1231 times)

ibedonc

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 07:02:22 PM by (unknown) »

ibedonc

Re: for you ft collins guys
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:48:41 PM »
New Solar PV Manufactor in  Ft. Collins
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 01:48:41 PM by ibedonc »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:30:30 PM »
At 5 solar hours/day you get about 1.8 kWhr / watt.

At 7% interest the dollar would have given you 7 cents toward buying the power from the grid.

Rule of 72 for 7% gives 1.5 times sum of payments at 14 1/4 years.  So assuming that you'll have to replace the panels after that time you're talking another 4.7 cents per year to save for panel replacement.  That's 6.5 or so cents/kWhr.

Do a system big enough that the inverter, two sets of batteries (assuming batteries last about 6 years or so and you have to replace 'em once), and miscellaneous infrastructure are in the same ballpark price as the panels and you double your cost per kWhr, to 13 cents, which puts it right in the ballpark of grid power.

That would be, what, about $10k for inverter batteries, etc.?  10Kw would be about 50 kWhr/day - about twice what the power company estimates for a "typical household".

On the other hand, if your power rate is in the 26 cents/kWhr range you'd be way past breakeven with such a system.  You could put it in, burn twice the power as you'd be buying from the grid for the same money, and laugh.  Electric drier, electric oven/stove/grill, etc.  You can burn a lot of power and still average only 2 kWhr 24/7.  B-)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 03:30:30 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

elvin1949

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:26:15 PM »
 And i only have to pay 6-cents per kwh.

Can't save anything.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:26:15 PM by elvin1949 »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:36:48 AM »
Yes - this has been front page news in this area.  I'm always skeptical about stuff like this, time will though - it will be neat if it works out like they say!  

Don =- when you post a story like this I think it would be better if you at least include a bit of text in the 'body' explaining what the link is actually about.  Normally stories that have no detail in them and just a link would get moderated out pretty quickly.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 07:36:48 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

twombo

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 09:58:37 AM »
Yeah these guys (AVASolar) and First Solar are coming on strong with the the CdTe PV technology. Overall efficiency of conversion is lower but the production process is almost fully automated so output is substantially increased.

The panels are also fully recyclable so the product lifecycle can be almost fully close looped.   The basic active ingredients are Cadmium and Tellurium which are most often hazardous byproducts from industrial/mining processes. Integrated into the PV panels they are essentially non-interactive with the environment.

I'm pretty excited by the production efficiencies  that these panels offer the PV industry. First Solar is just opening a 180 Mw production facility in Frankfurt Ger. this year and they have 685 Mw of production scheduled for this year, world wide,  from their other  facilities.

Nice to see AVASolar is bringing CdTe production to the US at last.

Another factoid on CdTe  panels is that they are efficient in light wavelengths that are better penetrators of clouds so they are more effective on cloudy days!

Just a few thoughts!

Mike  

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:58:37 AM by twombo »