Author Topic: Solar panel warranty.  (Read 2431 times)

Volvo farmer

Solar panel warranty.
« on: November 25, 2007, 11:02:21 PM »
My neighbor just found a bad panel on his array. It was made in 1999 by a company called Solex. 90 watts, 12V Model SQ-090. I bought a different branded panel in '99 and remember almost everything having a 20 year warranty back then.

I've done some internet searching with no luck so far. Is this the way companies are getting out of their warranties? or is their a company taking responsibility for Solex panels made only eight years ago?

The failure is in a ribbon junction, so it might possibly be repairable if we cannot find the responsible party. Still, at $4+/watt, someone should make this right.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:02:21 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

zeusmorg

Re: Solar panel warranty.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
 Is this the company? http://www.solexenergy.co.uk/

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:11:19 PM by zeusmorg »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »
Never heard of Solex.

Maybe it's a Solarex?  Now BP. They were doing the warranty stuff.

There is a Solec brand that has a SQ series.  I have a feeling they are simply an import company.  Might be out of luck with that one.

G-

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 06:42:51 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Volvo farmer

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 08:42:18 PM »
Thanks but no. I proudly bought a SolARex 53W panel back in '99 so I could survive Y2K, LOL.  I know Solarex was bought by BP and have somehow unintentionally remained brand loyal through all these years. I got a couple BP 80W panels three years ago for the garage 'cause they were on sale. Now I have lots more SX170s, 'cause that's what the guy who got my money for my system had in stock. I got one with a burn spot in it now but it still makes some power. Maybe BP can divert some of their oil revenue profits and send me a new panel. At least I got a company and a retailer that are still in business to deal with. Luckilly, my panel seemed to die before the manufacuturer could run and hide.

Looks like my neighbors 20 year warranty might as well have been printed on US currency. It's as good as the paper it was printed on. The .uk company ain't the manufacturer.

I've been in a funky state of mind lately about corporations. This kind of thing tends to get on my nerves. Why not give a 100 year warranty? It's really only good until the name can be sold and the liability trail erased. This panel died in less than 10 years. Big promise, no follow up, big effort to track the liable company with zero results. Eat the $400 and go on I guess.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 08:42:18 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

zeusmorg

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:59:11 AM »
 I did some more searching,, see this page http://www.solarbill.com/california/certified_pv_modules.html

lists a sq-090 made by solec international inc.

Solec International, Inc.

970 East 236th Street

Carson, CA 90745 USA

Phone: 310-834-5800

email: solec@solecintl.com

doing a reverse phone lookup on that:

Sanyo Solar USA LLC

970 E 236 St

Carson, CA 90745

(310) 834-5800

then i found this: http://us.sanyo.com/aboutsanyo/corp_pro_man_sii.cfm

In 1994, Solec combined forces with SANYO Electric, Japan. Both companies share a commitment to excellence and making strides toward improvements in the solar energy industry.

sooo, Sanyo should warranty that panel!

I was bored, and I hate seeing corporations get away with stuff!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:59:11 AM by zeusmorg »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:04:28 AM »
Hi,

I agree that a guarantee is only as good as the solvency of the company that made it, but if a solvent company takes over the brand of another solvent one then it cannot simply walk away from the liabilities from things such as guarantees, since basically that would be some kind of fraud IMHO.  It would also tarnish both the old and new brands.

If nothing else, kicking up a public fuss with the new company should get the guarantee honoured.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:04:28 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Volvo farmer

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 07:02:24 AM »
Cool beans! That is exactly the information I was after!

Thank you very much for doing that research, I really appreciate it and will give my neighbor the good news right away!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:02:24 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.