Author Topic: Are these panels OK ?  (Read 2235 times)

DigitalMind

Are these panels OK ?
« on: November 29, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
My Sister has decided to wait until spring to decide whether or not she's going to invest the $7000 for the Solar Power set-up in her off-grid home.  In the meantime, my mother and I want to get her a super small set-up for Christmas so she can atleast have lights (or A light) at home during the winter until she decides, and to get a taste of how solar works.  

I am planning on getting 2 X 15 Watt panels that are on special at Canadian Tire, and just 1 12 volt battery (about 110ah)  (or 2 6 volts that come out to that) with a small 350 Watt Inverter that I already have but don't use.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672503&bmUI

D=1196350297150&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443275943&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Anything wrong with these panels for this set-up ??  

Thanks again for your input !

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:37:38 PM by (unknown) »

DigitalMind

Re: Are these panels OK ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:51:34 AM »
There are a few bad reviews, but i'm hoping it's just because these people don't realize that 15 - 30 Watts isn't alot.  I figure 4 hrs sun X 30 Watts = 120 Watts which  will only power a couple light bulbs for a few hours. That's all my sister needs though ...  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:51:34 AM by DigitalMind »

strider3700

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
I have 3 of these so 45 watts.  After one year of use with, in direct full summer sunlight when It's not too hot out I get about 30 watts out of them.  I'm not impressed.  I took the array apart and found all 3 only produced about 10 watts each where I know the summer before I was getting at least 13 watts each.

At this point I'm questioning how long they will go before the tiny amount they trickle isn't worth the space they are taking up  

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:47:39 AM by strider3700 »

DigitalMind

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:04:25 AM »
Hmmmmm ... I already bought them, although it's not too late to return them.  It's the only one that seems within the budget of my Mum and I for her xmas gift.  (Once you take into account the batteries and charge controller)

Argh, decisions, decisions ..  These aren't meant to be used for long though, either way next spring they're getting a REAL solar set-up or spending the money to have real Hydro brought in...

Thanks for your feedback Strider3700 ..

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:04:25 AM by DigitalMind »

DigitalMind

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:05:43 AM »
May I ask what is is that you're running with these panels ??

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:05:43 AM by DigitalMind »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:24:04 AM »
The link refuses to work.

I expect they are thin-film.

Thin film degrades over the 1st while they are used.  Major brands take this into account when they rate them.  Might have to be careful when sizing a controller, because it could be overloaded with new panels.

Don't confuse rated watts with output watts.

A 15W China PV tends to make a little bit over 1A when new, and a hair under 1A after 6 months or a year.

If you get 13W at 13V for about/nearly 1A, that's about how it should be.

It shouldn't degrade too fast after that.

Even 15W will go a long way when used effeciently.

G-

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:24:04 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

strider3700

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:41:49 AM »
I keep a deepcycle battery charged up and use it to run the ozone generator in my water system and sometimes when I'm feeling flushed with energy I use it to run a small circulating pump.  I get pretty crappy solar exposure much of the year so they provide a very very small amount of energy.  I knew that before getting them.  I just wasn't expecting to lose 30% of the rated production so quickly.

The real reason I bought the panels is to give me a method of battery charging in the event of long term power outages.  I'm paranoid that way.  I'm hoping to have a turbine flying by the end of next year that will do far better then these panels at about the same cost.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:41:49 AM by strider3700 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »
The panels did not lose 30% of their rating after a year.

They showed 30% over their rating for the first year.

From below, "Don't confuse rated watts with output watts."

"Thin film degrades over the 1st while they are used... (If you get...1A{peak}, that's about how it should be) ...It shouldn't degrade too fast after that.

Common/standard/normal non thin film panels use about 17.2V for the max power in watts, because of the power curve.

Generic thin-film (H.F., ebay, Canadian Tire?) use 15V and 1A resulting in a 15W rating.  Might be a good thing because a 1A PV would normally be rated at 17W.

US-32 used 1.96A at peak power, IIRC, and it was thin film.

I did get the link to work using postal code "S0C 0B0".  0 is zero.

Looks like 15W China PVs, often available on eBay.

The HF PV kit (w/ 12V CFLs) would be a better deal, if you can get them up there.  Need to pitch the HF controller and get something that works.

The "5-year warranty" sucks.

The review by 'technonut' shows some of the issues with this kind of item. The review by 'YorkGuy' shows why some people like them.  

They reviewed the same product which shows why China PVs "have issues",

or why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

G-

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:24:15 PM by ghurd »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 02:41:07 PM »
I have 36w of thin-film PV and I've been pretty disappointed with their output too. Over time, its dropped a lot. I used to see a good 2A out of them, now I rarely see 0.7A. With it being winter I don't even see 0.1A from them. Waste of space now really. They struggle to keep a 90Ah SLA charged, let alone letting me run my 0.5A light from it as well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 02:41:07 PM by AbyssUnderground »

Jrmobb

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:01:47 PM »
Hows the wind up there? Just thinking solar for Canada isn't that good to start. You could ways just buy a perm mag motor off eBay and throw together a simple wind charger for the same price. That's assuming you have some wind .

There are  40 watt panels on ebay that sell for similar dollar per watt, they look better quality

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:01:47 PM by jrmobb »

kenputer

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 03:39:35 PM »
 I have 3 of those panels at my cabin,been there for over 12 years now and still work fine. They are made by ICP and if I remeber right they cost about $150.00 back then and this week I see them at Canadian tire on sale for $79.99. also found they work mush better in the winter when it is cold.

Ken
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:39:35 PM by kenputer »

sk windpirate

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 08:13:52 PM »
I have 5 of them.(Canadian tire Jobbers) Been using them for 3 years now. I have not taken a output reading on them lately, but they seem to be working well.

I have 4 deepcycle 12v battiers on them. I use a 1750 watt C.T. inverter. One thing I did find, you need to keep then clean.

Ron

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:13:52 PM by sk windpirate »

DigitalMind

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 08:47:08 PM »
Wow that's a lot of mixed reviews.  Actually, i'm kinda happy with that.  It means they're somewhat OK atleast.  This is just a christmas present while she prepares for a REAL solar set-up or cutting down tree's + $12,000 for Grid Power in the spring. They have NO power at all, so this should give a light bulb to turn on a few hours a day and small things like that here and there.

Thanks so much for all the reviews and comments !!!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:47:08 PM by DigitalMind »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 11:32:30 PM »
Digital;

I deleted your post with the 750+K photo. Please read the guidelines on photo sizes before posting photos.

Not everyone has broadband and it is pretty unfriendly to post 3/4 meg photos.

Just so you know why.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:32:30 PM by TomW »

Fiddlehead44

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 04:44:18 AM »
Digital,

Do your sister a big favour and spend every minute that you have available,

learning about alternative energy, before she spends $12,000.00 on grid lines.

Solar, wind power or diesel generators are very expensive, but for 12 grand, you could set her up with a system that would be far superior to hydro. If a person was already on the grid, payback would be forever. In her situation, payback would start now. Find someone in your area that has a simular situation and ask them questions and if need be, hire someone to design a self supporting electrical system. Your Christmas gift is great, but I feel that it will only convince her to bight the bullet and purchase the expensive hydro lines. There are many experts on this site that could give you enough info to get you headed in the correct direction. Roughly, where is she located? Far north, open field, on a lake, on a hill or surrounded with trees. What is the sun angle in your area? What is the average daily wind speed, etc.? Seems to me, that this would be a dream situation for many on this board.

Fiddlehead New Brunswick
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:44:18 AM by Fiddlehead44 »

DigitalMind

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 07:40:15 AM »
Fiddlehead,

I have pretty much already done as you suggested.  I have spent TONS of time learning about SOlar Power, and quoted her a $6500 System that would meet their everyday power needs.  They are still waiting till spring to make the decision of Solar / Grid Power.   She is located in Kingston, Ontario.  The Pro's here have helped me alot already. :)  ALSO, Fiddlehead, we should talk.  My off-grid home that I plan on starting sometime next year is in New Brunswick.  I have TONS of questions about the area.  If you have a chance email me at   jason  @  telinpho  .  com

TomW, Thanks for letting me know the photo was erased.  It's no problem.  That pic was there from a few months back when I put it on another post and no one said anything so I figured it was ok.  I'll re-size them next time ..

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 07:40:15 AM by DigitalMind »

HK

Much cheaper than Ebay
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 07:39:30 AM »
Just a tip:those treadmill motors (the gold colored ones)that sell on Ebay for $38+shipping are only $20+SH ($32 total in my case)at this link.I bought one from them and am pretty happy with it.It has to geared up,but seems to be pretty solid.

Happy scrounging,Heinous Khan

http://www.surpluscenter.com

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:39:30 AM by HK »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »
Not sure how far east/west of her you are, or if you travel 'south' very often, but there is a HF store in Syracuse.  The exchange rate is good (for you), and the HF kit would be cheaper than 2 of the Canadian Tire PVs.  

The kit comes with 3 PVs, 2 CFLs and the mounting rack.

Just a thought.

G-

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:49:05 AM by ghurd »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 08:50:34 AM »
"the HF kit would be cheaper" if it's on sale, and it seems to usually be on sale, but I'd call first.

G-
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:50:34 AM by ghurd »