Author Topic: Fiji Trip 2008 - Anyone interested?  (Read 2876 times)

BT Humble

Fiji Trip 2008 - Anyone interested?
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:29:23 AM »
Hello everyone, I just thought you'd like to know that I'll be making another trip to Fiji in May.  Sorry about the short notice, but in order to fit in with my and Rich's  leave arrangements it needs to be then.

If you're unfamiliar with what we do in Fiji, here are some links to my 2006 & 2007 trips:

http://www.smallsolar.org/success/index.htm

And Rich Hagen's journal describing his 2007 experience:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/6/5/85322/76409

My current itinerary for the trip is as follows:

6 May : Sydney, Australia ->  Nadi, Fiji

9 May : Suva, Fiji -> Vanuabalavu, Fiji

16 May : Vanuabalavu, Fiji -> Suva, Fiji

20 May : Nadi, Fiji -> Sydney, Australia

The flights between Suva and Vanuabalavu are only run on Fridays, so that forms the basis of the schedule.  These flights have been abruptly rescheduled in the past due to bad weather, so it's a good idea to arrange arrivals/departures from Fiji with at least a few days on either side of the Vanuabalavu (VB) leg.  It's a good idea to book these flights ASAP if you plan to come:  http://www.airfiji.com.fj

Speaking for my fellow Australians, you can expect to pay about AU$750 in total for airfares ex-Sydney, and somewhere around AU$1500 for accommodation/food/spending money.  We *do* need to avoid the big resorts to manage it that cheaply, and while on VB the accommodations will be "basic backpacker".

Currently Rich is a definite attendee, and Bruce Stahl is a "definite maybe".  I'd like to keep the party size to 4 or 5 people maximum, so if you're keen to come you'd best speak up now.

As always, if you'd like to contribute to our success there are quite a few helpful things that you can do without leaving home.  I'll make up a list in the next day or two, and attach it to this thread.

Thanks!

BTH

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:29:23 AM by (unknown) »

BT Humble

Re: Fiji Trip 2008 - Anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:38:12 PM »
Correction:  Make that AU$950 for airfares.  It seems that Virgin Blue still plays the "add extra charges to the advertised ticket price" game with international tickets. :-(

BTH

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 05:38:12 PM by BT Humble »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:15:17 AM »
Ben;

I'm also willing to donate US$ as well. All that money I made from shipping AAs to people [:-) can go directly to the "cause". I am just about the catch up with Ghurd on the dozen aire heights, so if there a spot for a little extra , coffee, hot peppers, coffee, let me know how/ where to send and I'll begin.

I Might even start begging the kind Farmer of Volvos if no one has come forward to cliam the 100 watt Wprize :-)

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:15:17 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

BT Humble

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »

Ben;

I'm also willing to donate US$ as well. All that money I made from shipping AAs to people [:-) can go directly to the "cause". I am just about the catch up with Ghurd on the dozen aire heights, so if there a spot for a little extra , coffee, hot peppers, coffee, let me know how/ where to send and I'll begin.

I Might even start begging the kind Farmer of Volvos if no one has come forward to cliam the 100 watt Wprize :-)

Bruce S

Dear Bruce,

I understood your first two sentences, but then you lost me. ;-)

BTH

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:40:33 PM by BT Humble »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »
Ben;

The second line of Ghurd about catching up to being a dozen aire was a failed attempt at a joke :-).

The part about extra coffee , hot peppers etc was from the last trip where Rich was talking about the hot peppers over there.

The last Sentence about begging VF was a small nod to his challenge to those who build VAWTs. He put up money and would send it to anyone who could build a stable VAWT that could be proven to out put an average of 100 watts over a specific period of time.

I can't put up anything near that ability here in the city , but there was a good round of discussion about it in the wind section ( I think).

He did give pepa a time extension, not 100% sure about the rest though. BUT I'll bet he did not have to pay anything just yet:-)

Sorry for the confusion. Too many calls, about too many different types of equipment led to bad typing and thought processing. One more reason to preview and check grammer.

Hope that helps clear it up, even if just a little.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:11:48 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

BT Humble

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »
Thanks for that.  I've never won any prizes for being quick-witted, after all. ;-)

BTH

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:13:39 PM by BT Humble »

DigitalMind

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 07:29:47 AM »
That's a great thing you're doing... I'd love to do exactly that.  It's too bad it costs so much money to help out !! I'm a computer / telephone / cable guy, always wanted to go out there and start setting up basic infrastructures for small communities like you're doing... (Power, Computer Network, Communications network, etc)

Good luck and can't wait to see pictures when you get back !

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:29:47 AM by DigitalMind »

richhagen

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »
I've ordered up the Air Fiji tickets, and am proceeding with ordering up the U.S. to Fiji part now.  I contacted the company that runs the Tunataki 2 shipping vessel there, and after they forgot about me on hold, I called back and got and was basically referred to other shipping companies.  I am currently negotiating with a shipping company there,  Williams and Gosling, about getting the freight out of customs and forwarding it to Vanua Balavu prior to our arrival.  My experience thus far reminds me of a quote from our pilot Tim who delivered us to Vanua Balavu last year upon hearing of our woes with the airline there:  'Aye mate, It's the islands . . .'  Rich
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:56:40 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!