Author Topic: Building a Solar Panel  (Read 1090 times)

glampke

Building a Solar Panel
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »
I am planning to build my own 70 watt solar panel, buying commercial solar cells from SiliconPower.com. Stringing the cells requires copper foil for tab ribbons.

To help me, I am thinking of using 3M #1182 Double-sided conductive copper foil to interconnect the solar cells. If I use this product, do I have to solder to it as well or will the adhesive suffice? This should help keep the foil in place and I am trying to avoid soldering, too! Any comments will be helpful.

Thanks, George

Not sure why you double posted this. It will be much easier to follow one. Making this one Read only to encourage that.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 07:46:30 PM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: Building a Solar Panel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »
there is no substitute for soldering electrical connections. If they will be outdoors and subject to thermal expansion and contraction, the least you should do is solder them well. Adhesive will fail early on if not immediately. Not to scare you, but even some commercial module manufacturers have had problems with their cell interconnects failing due to the solder joints letting go. Just trying to save you some headaches.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:09:48 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF