Author Topic: Suggested house wiring for solar panels/battery bank  (Read 2854 times)

freeEnergy4me

Suggested house wiring for solar panels/battery bank
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:31:08 AM »
But I'm not sure what is the best way to go.

I have about 200W of solar panels now. And with my $600 from the Feds I plan on getting maybe another 150W?

My energy needs are small. Already I have 4 deep cycles 12V 75Ahr marine batteries that I cycle and carry around the house like big rechargeables to power my TV and computer, etc.

But I'm sick of carrying them around and want something more permanent and also a little safer.

The only problem is, my panels are on the roof, 2 stories above the basement, where I want the batteries to be located so I can vent them and not be around them if they dare explode on me.

So that's like 8ftX3=24ft from roof to basement floor. And then back another 16ft again to power anything upstairs from the batteries.

So here are some of my ideas.

1. go with batteries in attic? now there are some issues with that, mainly the attic is jammed with insulation and it may not be plausible.
  2. go with batteries on 2nd floor, in closet. but that means a hole in the upstairs wall to vent them and closet space totally wasted
  3. cables 24ft down into the basement, then use 24v or 48v power back up to inverters to reduce losses.

And how do you typically distribute power? Do you buy a mega inverter that sends AC throughout the house to outlets? Or should I distribute the DC 24v-48v to some type of DC outlet and have smaller 1000-2000W inverters to connect to them? It seems like a full time inverter to AC would be a waste?

Any cool ideas would help. My budget is really small so I'm not looking to get a 20KW system going here. I just want a modest distribution that may power 80% of what I use: PC, lights, TV, microwave, maybe fridge (only about 100W).

Already I can get 50% of my power from panels that I throw out on sunny days and bring back in when it's snowing/raining. Just by dragging batteries around the house.

So yeah. Am I clueless? I know it's do-able, I just don't want a giant cluster-F with cables going in and out of walls. LOL.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 04:31:08 AM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

Re: Suggested house wiring for solar panels/batter
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:54:47 PM »
  Sounds like your shortest run of wiring would be an attic solution. However do you have easy access? You'll need to maintain your battery bank on a regular basis. Another problem with attic stored batteries is heat in the summer, and depending on your insulation too cold in the winter. Battery banks love a nice stable environment of around 70 to 80 deg F.

Also you want your inverter placed as close to your batteries as possible without risking corrosion. Then just do a dedicated a/c wiring run to the areas that you wish to power with your RE electricity.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:54:47 PM by zeusmorg »

donald77777

Re: Suggested house wiring for solar panels
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:01:59 AM »
What type of climate do you live in? If you are like me in Arizona or some other hot place, I would not even think about putting the batteries in the attic. The amount of heat in the attic would amaze some people. In addition, it is not the safest idea in my opinion. Easiest way would be to have the batteries in the basement, and double up the wire to stop losses. One person I know just uses a whole bounch of outdoor rated extention cords bundled up to save money.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:01:59 AM by donald77777 »

freeEnergy4me

Re: Suggested house wiring for solar panels
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
I'm in a cooler climate, Michigan.

It would be a lot of work to get the batteries into the attic. The attic is filled to the brim with loose insulation.

My basement is probably the best solution. It stays pretty much between 50-70 all year and venting would be a lot easier.  I'm just wondering if the losses from the roof to the basement will be very large, some 24ft.

I guess there's no point in going with anything other than 12V as the inverter would be right next to the batteries?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 07:42:00 AM by freeEnergy4me »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Suggested house wiring for solar
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:29:43 AM »
Put them in the basement.  That's not very far.

Go overboard on the wire from the attic to the basement, to reduce losses and allow for expansion of the system.

AL is cheaper.  I've been using #1/0 AL USE ($1.40/foot for 3 twisted conductors at Home Depot), or #2 AL USE (under $1/foot at HD, 3 conductors in one jacket). Lowe's doesn't carry either, local.

With luck, you can get the wire to run attic to basement next to the 'stink pipe', but I bet that's not to code.

With more luck, the panels can be wired with 12-2 UF-B and water-proof strain reliefs, those wires taken into the attic through the ridge vent, and then joined with the larger wire.

Joining AL and CU needs some special attention. Ask where you buy the wire, if you go that direction.

G-

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:29:43 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

scottsAI

Ground level battery bank
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »
Hello freeEnergy4me,

You missed one.

Place the batteries outside - ground level, covered by a foam only insulating box, with 2 foot skirts. ] bat [ The box keeps the batteries close to ground temperature. Even in the winter, cool in the summer. From the street looks like an AC box. I like it outside, not worried about gas or other things.

My 48v battery is 8 golf cart batteries, 2.5 yr old.

24 foot of 10 AWG by http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

will lose 2.25%, goal is 2%, close enough.

Not much said about your loads, 24v or inverter?

1. v the thicker the better:-)
  2. v thick from the inverter, remember to use fuses at the battery. The Fuse size is based to protect the wire... smaller is OK to protect the load. Remember the grounding and other issues.

Have fun,

Scott.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:42:29 PM by scottsAI »

freeEnergy4me

Re: Ground level battery bank
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:42:23 PM »
I think I will do that. I think I'll just run the cables down the side of the house then into the basement. I am in the process of making a turbine as well. That will power batteries that will go outside.

Thanks for your suggestions!  I'm glad they haven't kicked me off for my dumb questions.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:42:23 PM by freeEnergy4me »

scottsAI

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »
If it was dumb they will ignore you.

Getting nasty will get you kicked off. Which I have not seen from you so no problem!

Post some pictures in a diary when you get it done, show us what your doing.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:02:30 AM by scottsAI »

elvin1949

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:22:06 PM »
freeEnergy4me

The only dumb guestion , is the one you DON'T ask.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:22:06 PM by elvin1949 »