Author Topic: request for pv boost circuit  (Read 1161 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
request for pv boost circuit
« on: July 06, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »
Is there a simple circuit that will boost voltage on a shaded panel to about 20v and then pulse it? Kind of like cameras have to make flash voltage? I would put one on each controller at the panel input terminals. Some fancy controllers probably do that, but I don't see the need to spend lots of extra money.

Florida is supposed to be the "Sunshine" state, but we have had so little sun for over two weeks that I am forced to boost my batteries with 2 amps from wall warts to keep the fridge and computer going. No complaints about the rain, though, we desperately need it.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:15:02 PM by (unknown) »

JamesJackson

Re: request for pv boost circuit
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:09:11 PM »
This is very possible.

Basically, what you want to do is incorporate a voltage 'boost' circuit that works at around 8-volts (which would be a cloudy day on the solar panel), and boosts it to about 16 volts (or 20 volts).

You would then put that voltage to the input of the charge controller - which then charges your battery.

Regards,

James

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:09:11 PM by JamesJackson »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:46:56 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: request for pv boost circuit
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:13:23 PM »
A very good reason to add more modules in series and switch to an MPPT controller. It will do what you want in lower light levels.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:13:23 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF