Author Topic: this is whats happening in NY  (Read 1976 times)

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
this is whats happening in NY
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:04:06 AM »
http://www.nysolaralert.com

be careful, do your homework.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:04:06 AM by (unknown) »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

Capt Slog

Re: this is whats happening in NY
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:07:53 AM »
do your homework

Yes, for a start, get a ruler and draw a line of the sun's angle on your plans.  It seems fairly obvious from the drawings that the panels were going to be in shadow, I can't see why he needed the opinion of the contractor to tell him differently.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:07:53 AM by Capt Slog »

sPuDd

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:30:07 AM »
Aside from the questionable workmanship, you northern hemisphere

people seem to have some really antique building products and

draconian electrical regulations.

BEGIN RANT

Can't conceal wiring without permission!?

Steel conduit!?

Shingles!?

And for Pete's sake build with "Cinder Blocks" and steel if you

want the place to stay together in a storm.

END RANT

sPuDd..

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:30:07 AM by sPuDd »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:36:23 AM »
There are unscrupulous businessmen and contractors in all fields and renewable energy is not going to be different.  I feel that if one is going to make such an investment, if and when possible, they should obtain basic knowledge of what to look for.  

My working definition of contractor in all fields:

A person whose job it is to separate you from as much money as possible, and to do as little work as possible in order to accomplish this.  

While many contractors are very good, you won't know for sure whether they are or not until you have had dealings with them.  I do not trust someone until they have done many jobs for me.  It is to be my way or the highway unless you can convince me I'm wrong.  

With solar, lots of 'handy' people don't have a good idea of all facets of the performance of the system.  I have seen professional installs facing East or West in both the northern and southern hemispheres.  It appears that people paid big money to have panels installed at less than optimum direction and angle for their location.  If  the 'professional' installer doesn't come out an do a site survey with a solar pathfinder or similar tool to determine seasonal shading, that is not a good sign.  In the referenced post, the angles distances and relative heights and latitude should have shown the problem ahead of time if an adequate analysis had been performed.  It occurs to me that the conduit was likely ran on the exterior for no other reason than that it was easier for the installer to run it that way.  

Buyer beware, Rich Hagen

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:36:23 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 06:46:10 AM »
That shading issue and the conduit on the roof really stink .
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:46:10 AM by tecker »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 07:56:47 AM »
That's the worst I have ever seen, and I would have thought he was exaggerating if it wasn't so well documented.

I does bring up an issue I have with "code" installations.

Many installs are required to be done by an electrician, and many electricians don't have a clue about DC, let alone roofing, insulation, anything related to solar, etc.

G-

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 07:56:47 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

jacobs

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »
Many electricians don't know the code even though they have their license. I've known some that should have been in a another trade......like flipping burgers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:34:27 PM by jacobs »

wdyasq

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »
sPuD,

Rant all you want. Folks should use the constructions methods common to the area. A "cinder block" building would have frost on the inside walls in New York. I guess a large enough ice buildup would increase strength...

Steel conduit is a good way to install almost anything electrical and in any climate I am familiar with. It may be the original contractor BSed his way into doing the job that way knowing the owner didn't know the code so couldn't/wouldn't challenge it. I would have been reading the code book. And, making sure my lawyer had teh proper codes noted in his letters.

Believe it or not, shingles are recommended in some areas because of 'fire codes' - apparently the firemen want to be able to break through a roof to get to a fire. (and I did remark it would be a "damn site easier" to break through a tin roof than 3/4" plywood when told this fact).

Ron

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:59:03 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Jeff

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 08:54:46 AM »
Glad to see how well this was documented! What gave it away was the eventual comments of the installing company. In other words, once they showed they were ignoring him, then having a law firm handle it, makes me think "dishonest business" right off the bat. What company would go to the expense of settling thru court/lawyers rather than make the installation right? One that has had experience with many dissatisfied customers, and no intentions of doing a good job, that's what kind!

Standing applause for the good documentation, website, a GUTS to show Americans (or anyone for that matter) won't put up with shotty workmanship!

I passed your URL on to my family & friends, and hope it helps.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:54:46 AM by Jeff »

lsimms

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »
It's my house...& you're absolutely right: I didn't even need a ruler to know I should be concerned.

Put yourself in these shoes: you're tackling a big, costly project. There's nothing about the technology or its application that you're not capable of understanding, but you've never done this before, don't have time to get up to speed, & would have to buy the components from an authorized dealer anyway. Better to just hire a good dealer.

So you do your homework, & sign a dealer/installer with good reputation & credentials [the "sales engineer" you choose is a NABCEP certified PV installer]. You actually call his references, & they check out [no contractor will give you bad ones, but getting confirmation from real customers still means something].

Then you ask the contractor...& he says shadows are not a problem. You reply: "Are you SURE?" He says: "I'm sure." And he puts it in writing.

So--do you 2nd-guess the pro who's actually been on site with a solar pathfinder, & who has stated on paper that there won't be a shading problem? Today, of course, I'd ask to see his photos & calcs...but I don't think proceeding on the basis of the contractor's promises was foolhardy.

The problem is 1 of accountability, &--as others on this thread have noted--there are bad apples in all the trades.

Other contractors have cheered me on in "going public" with my experience, as they've all bumped heads with Greenlogic Energy [the offender]; they realize that bad stories like mine scare prospective alt energy users, & keep the market from growing the way it should. Most, however, are too timid to take a stand themselves for fear of retribution/prosecution. I find that sad.

BTW--I don't know how my site found its way to this board, with which I was not previously acquainted. I like what I see here, & plan to stick around & learn. I'm planning to add wind next...

Thanks to all posters for your thoughtful comments.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:29:41 PM by lsimms »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »
Larry, I posted the link. Its Roy R. form Windsine Inc./Go Solar Inc. We should talk about the monitoring stuff this weekend. I am available.

Welcome aboard.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:58:45 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF