Author Topic: Charge pump  (Read 1005 times)

huntedheads

Charge pump
« on: September 25, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
Hi guys, my key between k & m is mysteriously not working this morning so bear with me. Can a sump pump work to charge a system in a 5G bucket with about 25' straight up? And I would love to see a pic of your charge valve set up.

Thanks and yes I'm headed for the "Wal mart" in just a bit!

try to find the words without "that" in them is harder than you might think!!!!!!

Fixed your missing "l''s but I still have no clue what you are trying to accomplish?

Maybe with a new keyboard you can repost with better detail on what you wish to do? TW

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:13:04 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Charge pump
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »
I think he's talking about a water-heating solar panel, 25 feet above the water supply, that doesn't currently have any water in it.  He needs a pump to fill it with water, and wonders if a sump pump will do the job.

(Not necessarily just the initial fillup:  One approach in areas with subfreezing temperatures is to let the panel empty at night and refill it once the sun is up and the plumbing warm, to avoid damage from freshwater ice expansion.)

I wouldn't use a sump pump.  It might be able to make 25 feet.  But it's optimized for throwing a lot of dirty water really fast into negligible back pressure.

I take it you have an off-grid system and a water storage tank but no pressurized water.  25 feet of lift is about 12-13 PSI.  Have you considered using the sort of 12 volt diaphragm pump that provides water pressure in travel trailers?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:28:28 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »