Author Topic: Bon Bon Babe is watching solar powered TV  (Read 1227 times)

brkwind2

Bon Bon Babe is watching solar powered TV
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:43:26 AM »
I got to work so I can't be there to switch to solar power when available.  I've got the TV etc. on a UPS (Can't have a blip during The Young & the Restless) & have rigged 3 relays which automatically shut off the grid power & switch to solar power.  The draw back to this is that 2 relays are energized any time we are using solar power.  Then when the solar power from my inverter shuts off it automatically switches back to grid power.  Today I see some people using UPS's as an inverter & I'm sure that is more efficient by running the 12 vcd into the UPS so I may look into that.  On the other end I need a charge controller.  I ordered one of the cheap HF controllers http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96728

Has anybody got one of these?  How much hysteresis is there from shut off to providing pwr again at the load terminals?  Is there any adjustment?  

I'd like to see the battery get fully charged before the system provides power again.  I've just got a few panels right now but if I can get the controls working to my satisfaction I can see this growing into a larger obsession.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:43:26 AM by (unknown) »

RUFUS

• Still starving in the east Texas piney woods
Re: Bon Bon Babe is watching solar powered TV
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:03:04 PM »
dude

GHURD on here has got a good one that is adjustable

and handels about the power what you need ,

i's in a kit form but it's really easy to put togather

i've built two myself and they work great  just search ghurd

on here hook up with him he'll send you what you need cheap

depending what your idea of cheap is  or check out my files

and see what you think    be warned i tinker with some strange

stuff

RUFUS

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:03:04 PM by RUFUS »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
Why don't you run the TV and recorder full time from an small true sine wave inverter? Hook your solar to charge the battery. Add a cheap float charger from an auto parts store to maintain the battery in case there is no sun.

The battery in the UPS won't run for long in a power outage and most UPS's put out square waves that mess with sensitive electronics like TV's and VCR's.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:10:03 PM by dnix71 »

brkwind2

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
True sine is expensive & so far the UPS & the Black & Decker or the Chicago Electric inverters are working ok.  Right now I don't have enough solar to run the stuff full time.  I'm not really depending on the UPS battery to carry the load, only to prevent blips when I'm switching from line to solar.  Unfortunately the brick draws 20 or 30 watts I think so that adds to the load on my pitifully small system as does the relay switching from line to solar power.  I'm willing to buy an extra panel if that is what it takes to make it automatic.  Once I get the controlls worked out the system will get larger I suspect.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:59:44 PM by brkwind2 »

brkwind2

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:04:32 PM »
I considered that however I'm reconsidering Ghurd's controller after you said "it's really easy to put together".  The last thing I built, a shortwave radio, scared me, & I'm not scared of nothin.  I should have just made a ball of solder.  It would have been cheaper & easier & worked about as well.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out your files.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:04:32 PM by brkwind2 »

scottsAI

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »
Brkwind2,

Check out latching relays. Powered only when switching states.

If you load the UPS the efficiency is OK.

UPS is nice, has charger, inverter in one unit.

I use several for my computers. Come in handy now and again.

Have fun,

Scott Beversdorf.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:01:31 PM by scottsAI »