Author Topic: Sun-90 panels arrive, one dented  (Read 3145 times)

vtpeaknik

Sun-90 panels arrive, one dented
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:04:10 AM »

The 4 Sun-90 panels I ordered from sunelec.com have arrived.  They were stacked (with cardboard spacers), wrapped and strapped, on top of a large pallet, with a "do not stack" cardboard pyramid attached on top.  Took a lot of room in the truck - no wonder they charged $160 for shipping!  (to Vermont)  (But it seems like a smaller box could have sufficed?)

The ones I got were of two types: 1 had a junction box similar to the Sun-50 reported on here recently.  Except that there are two diodes in it, on the two end positions, but non in the middle position of the circuit board - that position is jumpered.  Since there are only 3 wires from the panel itself, it looks like it is wired as two halfs and each has a bypass diode so if half the overall panel is shaded the other half will "work".  (Not of much use in a simple 12V system since the working half will only give about 8V, but useful when several panels are in series feeding a voltage-converting MPPT controller.)  The box lid attaches with 2 screws and has no seal.  Here are photos of the junction box:

The other 3 have a different style of junction box.  The lid has a rubber gasket and friction-fits with no screws.  Instead of soldering it's wired with pressure alone.  The + and - sides are not marked.  Again there are 3 panel wires and 2 diodes.  Pix:

Alas the one panel of the first type arrived dented.  I don't think it happened in shipment because it was not the top one on the stack.  The dent is in the aluminum frame but the panel itself is thus bent a bit (3/16" off-the-straightedge in the middle).  Also the glue between it and the frame is delaminated in one 2-inch stretch exposing a narrow gap.  Should I worry about that?  Enough to return it to the seller?  Pix:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:04:10 AM by (unknown) »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Re: Sun-90 panels arrive, one dented
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:49:51 PM »
Just my opinion but it sounds like they shipped this to you knowing it was damaged. Maybe not but it's typical of some companies to do this until they get someone to accept it without shipping it back. If I had purchased it I would not accept it, it's not what you paid for and may cause problems. Good luck with your decision.  Dave B.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:49:51 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 01:49:15 AM »
I agree I would not accept it either.

remember the panels should last you 20+ years over time that damaged panel will likely fail.

Send it back,

Luckeydog

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:49:15 AM by luckeydog »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 06:12:51 AM »
Just one comment:

Demand what you paid for, which is new, undamaged panels.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:12:51 AM by TomW »

sk windpirate

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »
Yes!!

You should be worried about the seperation. Water will get in. The rest will be history.

I think the carrier has the final Responsibility. It's that way up here.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:35:47 AM by sk windpirate »

RogerAS

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:23:47 PM »
Hey,

Call the seller and make sure they don't hang another shipping charge on you to replace this. Document everything twice and send one copy to them via registered mail if they give you any static. Nor should you have to pay to have this damaged panel returned to them. This is not your problem but I bet it will become one. If you have never mounted these panels and put them into service the issue is all yours. Getting satisfaction in a prompt and courteous manner might be another matter altogether. One never knows, and they may bend over backwards to make this right. Just play your cards close to the vest and don't take any wooden nickels.

Bottom line. However the panel was damaged is moot. I would not trust it in a long term setting.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:23:47 PM by RogerAS »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 01:06:49 AM »
I totally agree with what the guys above have said, that damaged panel wont survive and make sure you tell the sellers if they get narky that you are very active in a few RE forums and you'll publish all the bad cred's the company does with this damaged panel. This is a last resort but definately ask for a new panel with them paying for shipping both ways.

I reckon it probably is shipping damage as with the amount of deliver trucks I unload when da storeman aint around I personally see how delicate stuff is packed and it aint pretty.

But as you paid a premuim to get the panels the onus is on the seller so press them for it.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:06:49 AM by ruddycrazy »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
I have bought from Sun before in person and pack and ship for a living. I sent James a sample of the box we use to ship framed lithos that are about the same size as those panels. It's a custom box (die cut) and folds up from flat. Our lithos sell for $90, so it's worth spending the $3 it costs for a well made box with corner guards.

It took a couple of tries for our supplier to come up with something that works. We were losing 1/4 of our lithos to damage before we switched to this method.

I also included a link to this thread. If Sun can ship panels without damage then we both win.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:28:28 PM by dnix71 »

SteveCH

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »
The dent would worry me. It is quite possible that the area near the dent is stressed. There is some sort of sealant between the glass and the frame. That stress will be on the sealant, too. It may be fine now, but a few years of the warming/cooling cycles the panel will undergo every day and the winds and the UV light eventually degrading the surface of the sealant could well lead to failure at that spot. By that time, no warranty will be any use. Consider that pv panels go through heck and back in full sun and all weather and etc. Any weak area will be of concern. It may be soon, or it may be years down the road. But I've got my first panels still in use from 1985 and, so far, no physical failures....

Do not think you'll be ok trying to "fix" it or add sealant to head off a problem. Not with PV panels....

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:15:17 PM by SteveCH »

vtpeaknik

replacement arrives, but not quite the right one..
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
The saga continues in my diary
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:07:12 AM by vtpeaknik »