Author Topic: Trying To Save Solar Panels  (Read 1889 times)

Dan M

Trying To Save Solar Panels
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:31:35 PM »
I have access to several solar panels, about 90w each, around 2' x 4'.

These were damaged and needed to be replaced.  I don't recal the brand, but can find it if I need to.

The actual area where the pv panels themselves are broken only involves a couple of cells, and I thought I could wire around them.

Here's the kicker:

These look like they are built on a thin, flexible plastic sheet, with the pv surface glued to a tempered glass face.  A very localized fracture caused the entire glass front to fracture into approx 1/4" pieces, and they are still stuck, REALLY STUCK, to the PV surface of the panel.

If I try to seperate a piece of glass from the pv panel surface, the adhesive appears to be very flexible, but is sticky enough that it peels the surface of the pv cells off as you remove it.

Is there some sort of solvent that would likely disolve the glue, without destroying the pv panel behind it?  As I mentioned, it appears that the pv panels are built on a very thin, flexible plastic sheet, something like acetone would probably melt the whole thing.

Thanks in Advance,

-Dan M

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:31:35 PM by (unknown) »

Curbie

Re: Trying To Save Solar Panels
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »
Maybe orange oil or goo-gone.

Curbie

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:36:25 PM by Curbie »

zeusmorg

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:48:28 PM »
 I would try several different solvents to see which worked best. MEK, alcohol (not just rubbing either), etc. Even vinegar may work, water can successfully dissolve some glues.

Look around the house and see what you have on hand, not knowing what type of glue it is it would hard to recommend what solvent will work best.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:48:28 PM by zeusmorg »

Chuck

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:46:15 AM »
Years ago I had some panels mounted to a frame that was not tied down. A strong wind flipped the entire frame and one of the panels ended up in the condition you mention. This panel has a metal backing coated with a plasticy finish. It is impossible to lift any of the glass chips without doing damage to a cell.

Interestingly enough, the panel still produced a reasonable amount of power, so it's not a total loss.

I also had a charger that I'd played with and didn't like the way it worked for my everyday off grid setup and a need to occasionally charge up 12v batteries in things like old trucks that didn't get run much. The combination has been a great tool. I have the charger wired to this "bad" panel and bring it out when I need to start the truck (which has a small short somewhere...) after a long spell of not running. It does the job much quicker than a normal trickle charger and does a quick equalization charge too if I want it to.

If these panels still produce decent power, you might be able to use them in some way like this, which doesn't require sitting out in the weather much.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:46:15 AM by Chuck »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »
Dan M;

Personally, I would take the unit out in the sun and see if it's still putting out decent power. IF it is, then go Chuck's route and leave the glass in place, except go one step further and get some of the better windshield repair glue and use it around the broken areas.

You could even go further and use a new sheet of clear glass or Lux clear plastic and seal the entire top area.

Nice find!! hope it works out.

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:33:22 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »
The entire glass not breaking into 1/4" pieces is new to me.

I would try some of the Permatex windshield silicone.  

It is very runny.  Gets into the nooks and crannies.

Not all the auto parts stores carry it.

It would greatly reduce the output.  Worth a shot on free PVs.

Doubt it would last many years around here.

I would not pay 25 cents a watt.

G-

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:59:53 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

richhagen

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »
I have a couple of panels which have broken tempered glass as well.  The panels still output voltage in my case, so replacing or rewiring an individual cell is not an issue.  The plastic layer inside the glass is likely eva and is likely still in tact, forming a vapor barrier, so I was thinking of filling in part of the back of the panel inside the frame with polyester resin, simply to give the panel some strength, and coating the front broken glass with a uv resistant epoxy, or similar compound that will weather well and not absorb too much of the usable light.  Rich
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:30:31 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

justin

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 03:42:55 AM »
I have two 85w panels, one I received free with the other as it was damaged. It seems to output the same power as the good one, so I sprayed over the glass with car paint laquer. I made several fairly thick coats allowing the laquer to run into the cracks, paying particular attention around the edges to ensure there's a good seal everywhere.

I'm just about to put them out for proper testing, but I think they should be good. Car laquer is designed to last well in sunlight so I'm hopeful it won't fade/crack soon. TBH, any extra power it gives is going to be a bonus. Free power, we like that.

J.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:42:55 AM by justin »

OuttaSight

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »
Yeah, the plastic will either be EVA or Tedlar and the glue is very strong.

The cells are only wafer thin and will crack or just disintegrate if you try to peel them off.  I got a broken amorphous panel in the post once and the shop let me keep it.  It was only broken about 1/3rd the way down it's length (it's like 25cm wide but 1m long) and it still puts out some power.  I sealed it up with weatherproof clear tape and then beaded clear silicone sealant around that.  It worked outside for a few weeks while I was waiting for the replacement to come (which turned out to be DOA) and it still works but the flexing is making the cracks grow so I mostly keep it indoors and use it for topping up spare batteries laying about the garage on dry sunny days.

You could always make up a sort of "greenhouse" box to put it in or just use it in an unused window in your house.  Or lay a new piece of glass on top of the broken one and fix it on there with clear silicone sealer and/or epoxy.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:15:36 AM by OuttaSight »