Author Topic: Adding more solar panels, so what inverter to use.  (Read 28392 times)

veggieburner

Adding more solar panels, so what inverter to use.
« on: February 04, 2010, 07:32:46 AM »
I am looking at adding another 3.5kW of solar to my existing 1.5kW of solar. So here is what I currently have.

1.      1.5kW of solar going into an outback flexmax80 charge controller, this sends it to a 48 volt battery bank.

2.    One outback GVFX3648 Grid Tie Inverter.

3.    Two 1 kW home built wind turbines that feed into the 4 48 volt batteries.

So Should I add another GVFX3648 to the system?

Or should I put in a sunny boy grid tie inverter and bypass the batteries and charge controller?

I think the sunny boy would give me better efficiency, but I will add a little more cost and now I can't tie 2 GVFX's together for more total throughput.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:32:46 AM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Adding more solar panels
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:06:28 AM »
The purpose of "batteryless" direct grid tie is to feed the grid for the tariff or tax benefit, or to reduce your electricity bill.  If that's the goal then it will depend on a lot of factors that I don't know anything about - what country/state/county you live in, for example.  None of that is intrinsic to the equipment you already have, so it's just an economic decision.  Therefore it can become a somewhat separate project that you can optimize for its own sake without much of an interface with your battery based system (except at the final AC interconnect).

Since you already have a battery-based system (that I envy) you have backup power, if that's a concern, already in the bag, so you don't have to complicate your grid-tie battery system by splicing the DC together.

With a second flexmax you will be optimizing the efficiency from the 3.5kW array anyway, just like the Sunny Boy would do.  As much?  Only someone who has examined a comparable system or done detailed analysis could know the difference.  But I bet it would be close.  So again I say your personal economic decision rules this.  Only you can make that decision.

Competition is fierce in the grid-tie inverter market, so what you saw in a product review last year may have changed by now.  Get the most up-to-date info as possible, and don't forget that there are several other viable competitors out there, though SMA has a good reputation.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:06:28 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:36:39 AM »
There can of course be factors other than money involved.  B^>

For example, my installation is not an investment, though part of it may prove to be so, but rather to reduce carbon footprint.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:36:39 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

veggieburner

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:56:17 PM »
I live in Minnesota, since my grid power if reliable I am looking at cutting my power bill as much as possible with the panels I have or about to add. What I am currios on is.

example: if my charge controller is showing that I am sending 1200 watts to the batteries and my inverter is showing that I am selling 1000 watts back to the grid. What kind of loss would I see with a sunny boy grid tied inverter that does not use batteries?

Thanks!

Mike

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:56:17 PM by veggieburner »

carlb23

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
I just installed 2 sunnyboy 5000 watt inverters.  They have a efficiency rating of 96.5%.

Carl

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:29:10 PM by carlb23 »

veggieburner

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
So Carl, can you tell me what you are seeing comming back to the grid? So for example, I can see what my flexmax charge controller is sending to the batteries and what the inverter is selling back to the grid. It is almost always 20% less going back to the grid from what the charge controller is seeing.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:29:37 AM by veggieburner »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
The round-trip efficiency for lead-acid charge/discharge is ~80%.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:13:15 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

carlb23

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:50:28 AM »
I just finished the install late December and I am in New Jersey so our winter sun is not great.  The array is set at 40 Degrees elevation and there is a total of 11.2kw of solar 5.6 per inverter.  The best I have seen so far is 4960 watts out of them.  I suspect in mid summer with the array tilted to 10 degrees the inverters will pull the full 5k from late morning to 4pm.

carl

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:50:28 AM by carlb23 »