Author Topic: New DIY Build  (Read 46050 times)

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
Re: New DIY Build
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
sorry, my normal laptop screen is broke, I've replied to your pm aswell..... I'm not on here every day... i do have a family and many many more hobbies.
<<<------- cLiCk HeRe FoR mY sEtUp!

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
here's some stuf i'm looking at I have enough to make several panels .and want to make 1 volt modules and pace them in a a closed box with cooling I want to bonttwo cells on aluminum thin sheet with termal adhisive and encalulate with the clear . check it out let me know what you've found
http://www.acc-silicones.com/applications/solarpanels/pvsolarsiliconeadhesivesencapsulants.ashx

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »
I just bought some EVA from ebay .I didn't search much and got burned on the shipping . I searched after and foung this sight with some 8 x 28 cuts for 38 with standared UPS
http://insightwas.com/catalog/encapsulants-c-28_9.html

Subman

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 04:37:13 PM »
I am also building DIY Solar. I am building it because of cost reasons. Here in Canada we pay between $7-$9 a watt for a retail unit. DIY I can build the unit fro $1 a watt. I support DIY. Right now I have to decide what voltage to make them. Store bought units put out 18V. I don't understand why so high when it only takes 13.8V to charge a 12V lead acid battery. Right now I am looking at 15V system.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
I am also building DIY Solar. I am building it because of cost reasons. Here in Canada we pay between $7-$9 a watt for a retail unit. DIY I can build the unit fro $1 a watt. I support DIY. Right now I have to decide what voltage to make them. Store bought units put out 18V. I don't understand why so high when it only takes 13.8V to charge a 12V lead acid battery. Right now I am looking at 15V system.

Subman
The power isn't really lost that much and higher voltages will go further distances with less line loss.
The slightly higher voltage is okay, most solar controllers are built with the slightly higher voltage in mind.
Doing it DIY is good, you can build the panels to suit the area better than retail places can. One thing while building though, if your panels are going to be a fair distance away from batteries & controller you might want to look into line losses for wire.

Hope this helps;
Bruce S

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:38:29 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

chazsql

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 12:46:37 PM »
I just bought 6 250 ml with shipping 266 .6 is where the price brake is .

Harold in CR

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »

Sr.
 Sent you a PM. No big hurry. Thanks

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 01:25:54 PM »
I'm Back!

Sorry guys, I've been laid up with a torn pectoral muscle and my laptop screen was broke, so I had to order one and install it... so far I'm healed and my laptop is healed...

I've had many many requests for the DIY Manual... well it's 34Mb pdf... So I'm not sure how to get it to you guys... any suggestions?

GbreadMan

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 10:27:43 AM »
Ouch.  How'd you get a torn pectoral muscle?  Sounds like a heavy lift somewhere.

I've made a half dozen DIY panels the past few weeks...about one panel per week, but I became so adept I could made one every 8 hours or so (with lots of breaks in between).    However, from what the experts say on this forum, I don't think I'll make anymore for a while.

The panels were made with the usual reference (the guy in Arizona who made the panel for his astronomy hobby in the desert), but instead of pegboard I used three 44" strips of hobby poplar wood from Lowes (48 inch strips 1 inch wide, then cut 4 inches shorter).  I then glued the sets of 6 cells at the center of each cell using Liquid Nails (two sets of 6 cells per strip; 12 cells per strip then soldered the six p-contacts in the center).  This way the cells are suspended between the acrylic top and the plywood bottom, and gave plenty of space for the tabbing and bus wire without disturbing the cells.

However, I don't get much power out of them.  I expected 50 watts but only get about 30 or 35 each max (18+ volts, 2.5 amps tops). Would replacing the bare-metal bus wire with insulated 10awg copper wire help mitigate power loss?  A mirror will probably help, but the angle of the sun is so high this time of year it might not be practical (I placed a small mirror near the panel when the sun was at a lower angle and it improved efficiency by about 15%). 

One other thing I noticed;  a lot of dust gets attracted to the partially-static-charged acrylic top, which can't help efficiency.  It's a nuisance having to clean the panels every day;  I wanted to make electrical power...not an outdoor version of the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze air purifier (dirt collector).  ::)

Anyway, it's been an interesting experiment so far, but just wondering if there's anyway to get past these minor problems.

Thanks,
Dan

divemaster1963

• God bless them all
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »

One other thing I noticed;  a lot of dust gets attracted to the partially-static-charged acrylic top, which can't help efficiency.  It's a nuisance having to clean the panels every day;  I wanted to make electrical power...not an outdoor version of the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze air purifier (dirt collector).  ::)

You May try using a windshield polish from a auto parts store. try it on a small spare piece first. I have been using it on my HF 45 watt panel set and it has almost eliminated the problems of dust and dirt build up. I live off a heavy traveled dirt road.

good luck with your panels

john

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 03:08:22 PM »

You May try using a windshield polish from a auto parts store. try it on a small spare piece first. I have been using it on my HF 45 watt panel set and it has almost eliminated the problems of dust and dirt build up. I live off a heavy traveled dirt road.

good luck with your panels

john

I agree, I use the RAINX brand, simply clean the panels and swipe, worked right through the last down pour we had, I reapply whenever they look like the water or dust doesn't blow right off. Worked on pollen too...

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2010, 08:31:57 AM »
I tore my pec muscle basically pulling on an immovable object, I didn't jerk either, just a steady pull and felt (heard) it tear...

I'm not sure how liquid nails will react with solder... may corrode your connections over time. as for the watt loss, it could be that 1 panel yes one can be cracked or chipped and because they are in series that will make all of your cells put out the same 2.5 amps, I sifted through 100+ cells to find the 36 perfect cells, you would be amazed at how much you need to look at each step in the process. were you using flux before soldering, how did you scrape off the protective coating on the pads? a knife like alot of people? bad idea, get a dremel with a wire wheel and do it that way... i broke 2 cells this way learning how much pressure but after about 5 more cells i was a master and dont see how any other method could work as good. Did you use an iron with enough heat to get good solid contact on as much of the cell as possible... You said you have your cells floating... well each cell can be angled a different way so that can take away some power.  many many things can be your issue but 50 watts still isn't horrible for DIY, I bet most people's make 40-45 watts.