Author Topic: The Energy Storage breakthru is REAL ! !  (Read 1508 times)

ridelikethewind

The Energy Storage breakthru is REAL ! !
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:22:20 AM »
Here we go folks, unlike the other breakthru hype, this is ALREADY on the road as we speak in Canada.

Lockheed Martin the biggest defense contractor in the world has just signed a contract with this company EEStor for the energy storage ultracapacitors. All those ppl who were calling this technology BS, are now changing their tune and changing it fast. IF Lockheed signed up, it can not be fake. Canada has already received shipments for cars that are already available at 12Kwh, small elctric vehicles.

Think of all the problems with lead acid battery energy storage that would go away with this technology!Lockheed Martin the biggest defense contractor in the world has just signed a contract with this company EEStor for the energy storage ultracapacitors. All those ppl who were calling this technology BS, are now changing their tune and changing it fast. IF Lockheed signed up, it can not be fake. Canada has already received shipments for cars that are already available at 12Kwh, small elctric vehicles.

Think of all the problems with lead acid battery energy storage that would go away with this technology! And at half the price of current batteries.

http://www.gm-volt.com/2008/01/10/lockheed-martin-signs-agreement-with-eestor/

For 2,100 dollars: 52Kwh, 336 pounds!

And the cycle rate is OVER 1 MILLION COMPLETE DISCHARGES

1/10 the self discharge of conventional caps.

Compare that to a forklift battery that might 2000 pounds!

Nontoxic and non-hazardous

Non-explosive

In a size suitable for a neighborhood electric vehicle (see ZENN), an initial production price of $3,200, falling to $2,100 with mass production is projected.[1] This is half the price per stored watt-hour as lead-acid batteries; cheap enough to use to store grid power at off-peak times for on-peak use.

No degradation from charge/discharge cycles

4-6 minute charge time (Reference only, we all know household current can't handle that many amps) for a 336 pound, ONLY 1.1 CUBIC FEET, 52 kilowatt hour, 31 farad, 3500 volt unit, assuming sufficient cooling of the cables.

A self-discharge rate of 0.1% per month

Think of the applications for renewable energy storage for the home use...

It is going to be a real interesting 2008!

http://thefraserdomain.typepad.com/energy/2006/01/eestor_ultracap.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEstor

Hype. We need a section for these pie in the sky posts. Waste of space until I can buy it.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:22:20 AM by (unknown) »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: The Energy Storage breakthru is REAL ! !
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 05:20:15 AM »
Hi,

I'd really like this to be proof positive, and it is a hopeful sign.

See the newer Energy Blog posting here:

http://thefraserdomain.typepad.com/energy/2008/01/eestor-lockheed.html

But if you follow a few of the links there remains reason to be skeptical IMHO.

For example, one repeat poster on another blog claims that EEStor has made a very basic mistake in its maths and that its patent is so narrow that it has no value except to go to investors and say, "look, we have a patent".

If the text that I saw for claim 1 of the patent was legit, there's certainly some force to that second point.  I've had a go at some patent drafting myself (and indeed I now have a patent lawyer for a brother by happy coincidence) and the text that I saw doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.  But I am NOT an expert.

As to the maths error...

The repeat poster says that EEStor was founded on the assumption that the energy stored in a capacitor is proportional to V squared, and EEStor is using something that can withstand a high V, ie breakdown voltage.  The trouble is that if the capacitance goes down with voltage, eg by pushing the charged surfaces apart as in a varicap diode, then the V-squared bit doesn't hold at all, allegedly by a couple of orders of magnitude for EEStor's work.

But then I'd like this not to be mistaken enthusiasm and suspension of disbelief by a large corp...

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:20:15 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

fungus

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 05:34:06 AM »
Remember a patent is only a grant of the right to stop other people using the idea, its not an endorsement of it..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:34:06 AM by fungus »

Old F

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:16:39 AM »
 Has any  one given any thought why one of the largest military contractors would  want a light weight high power density fast discharge and  recharge cap ?

Can you say laser or partial beam weapons system .

It sure not for us to drive to church on Sunday .

They  will milk it for all the tax dollars they can get an then go from there.

OLD F

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:16:39 AM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

fcfcfc

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:01 AM »
Hi: A breakthrough is when it is on the shelf RETAIL, RETAIL, RETAIL, for the average consumer. Just like the printable nano PV's. 10 to 20 cents a watt. Yep, yep. When I see them on the shelf RETAIL under $1 a watt at 20% or better eff, then I will smile and invest....

"There is still about 10 trillion dollars, at least, of oil in the ground...."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:22:01 AM by fcfcfc »