Homebrewed Electricity > Storage

battery deep cycle?

(1/4) > >>

nick02:
Now I have to get a battery. At cosco I found a merine deep cycle 700mca battery for $43

There was a 63 pound golf cart battery too for $48. I have no Idea what i'am talking about when it comes to batterys. but I would like to know what one to get.

thanks

zmoz:
What are you using it for? The cranking amps are of no use for deep cycle batteries. What you want to look for is amp hours. You probably will want the most you can afford. Golf cart batteries are 6v, you'll need two of them if you want 12 volts.

nick02:
I wanna run a 600w -150w power inverter with it. and i'am useing a ametek 38v turbine.

Bach On:
CCA is cold cranking amps. That is of no use to you for lights, inverter, etc. Look for Amp Hours. The golf battery is more of a deep cycle battery and will generally have a higher amp hour reserve. It is intended for the purpose you've indicated. It has heavier plates that provide more reserve capacity. The other battery you mentioned is more of a hybrid - it has thicker plates than a car battery, but thinner ones that the golf battery.
You'll probably be better off in the long run to buy a true deep cycle battery for the purpose you've indicated. As has been mentioned, you'll need two of those golf batteries to get 12 volts.
B.O.
Think

ghurd:
Sam's has the 6v golf cart batteries for $48 ($96 per pair).  Good choice if you can afford it.
A true deep cycle usually does not list CCA, CA, MCA.
A marine 'starting' battery is a car battery.  A marine 'trolling' battery is more deep cycle.  
The trolling batteries at Wally-World now list CA... I wonder what that means?

The group 24 'was' 85ah ($39), group 27 'was' 100ah ($54).

A pair of 6v golf cart is about 210ah, but they go for a lot of years if they are not abused.
AH is amp-hours. Amps times hours.  A 72ah will put 12 amps out for 6 hours (12X6=72) or 6 amps for 12 hours (6X12=72), or 2a for 36 hours, 1a for 72 hours...

The numbers are simplified, but you get the idea. It says how much 'electric' is in it.
FYI- PepBoys auto parts has a 400w Vector inverter this week for $22.50 after a $5 mail in rebate, if you have them local.
G-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version