Author Topic: battery box vent  (Read 8473 times)

defed

battery box vent
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
i've been doing a bit of reading on venting a battery box and have found several recommendations for a "convection vent".

i have seen 2 ways to accomplish this.

one as shown here:  http://zomeworks.com/products/h2vent-hydrogen-venting/example-5

the other here:  http://www.bdbatteries.com/hydrogenventing.php

they are basically the same thing except one only needs one hole.  has anyone used this method, in either version?  just wondering if one has any advantages over the other, besides one less hole.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: battery box vent
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:34:37 AM »
They do look similar - the one with the tube-inside-a-tube is a bit of a mystery.  If they are justifying the recommended way to vent the box by referring to the "chimney effect", then I wonder if that concentric design will defeat the effect they seek to harness.  They refer to heat exchange between the two tubes in the second link, but I don't believe you want that if you want thermal differences to move the air.  Sorry - don't know enough about the subject to really weigh in.

The answer probably depends on the situation your battery box is in.  If it's outside, then the external conditions change a lot during the day.  If in a shed, the daily fluctuations aren't as drastic, and obviously if they are in your heated house then the temperature doesn't change much at all.  So you might get away with a vent system that is vulnerable to poor flow on a "cold day", if it's installed inside the house.

Trapping gases under the lid wouldn't be as much of a problem if the lid or ceiling of the enclosure is sloped.  Then you have a definite high spot, and flow out of there will discharge all gases from the immediate vicinity.  That's how mine works.  There is a 2" hole in the wall as high up on the high side as I can go, and I don't worry about an inlet port because the box is nowhere near airtight!  :)

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

defed

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »
i went w/ a side by side pipe.  inlet w/ a dip tube to the bottom of the box and the outlet just entering the box.  i debated sloping the top slightly to make the vent area the highest point, but i figure if the tube is at the top, and the top fills up with gas, it would go out the tube anyway.

the way i understand the tube in tube design....the heat exchange is when the cold air comes in, it warms from going thru the warm tubes, so as to not lower the inside temp of the box.  i decided not to bother with this, as a 2' length of pipe probably won't transfer heat to the air fast enough.  unless there was a real heat exchanger, or the air moved reaaaaally slowly.

wonder if there is an inexpensive hydrogen gas meter i could stick in there to see if it's working or not.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:33:05 PM »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

defed

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:35:15 PM »
one that will tell me in a NON DESTRUCTIVE fashion!!!    :o

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
Safety matches?
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »
Safety matches?

G;

Oh, Duh? light match if the atmosphere ignites in the box it means hydrogen buildup

Or not.

Tom

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 12:02:41 AM »
Hoe do you know if it is Hydrogen burning? What color is a hydrogen flame?

allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 07:30:51 AM »
Who you callin a hoe?.................... :D
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 07:56:47 AM »

I distinctly heard "rototiller"

:o/
 ;D
 :D

T

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
Hoe do you know if it is Hydrogen burning? What color is a hydrogen flame?

Matches burn with a yellow flame...
Hydrogen burns with a sonic boom.

Doesn't most gassing happen during equalization?
If I was really worried about it, I would maybe connect a tiny (1.25x1.25"?) Brushless muffin fan to a voltage controlled switch.
RCpilot did it with one of my kits.  1st link is the talk about what and why, next is the finished project.
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,129163.0.html
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,129186.0.html

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

freejuice

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »

I distinctly heard "rototiller"

:o/
 ;D
 :D
  Tom, I could have sworn I heard ho-down and nobody was shot! It must be square-dancing he speaking about...this is confusing...groan!

Fabricator has an evil streak by playing with matches around hydrogen :D...come to think about it, he is a fabricator afterall and I'm sure he's played with those actylene bottles and plastic bags.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:09:55 PM by freejuice »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
I have no idea what you'r talking about................................

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 12:19:54 PM »
Then ask the neighbours whose horses are scared out of their skin of plastic bags now!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 02:25:18 PM »
LOL, caught red handed.

freejuice

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
I once saw a 30 gallon lawn and leaf bag purged with the right ratio. When it" popped" the concussion at 50 feet was....well, interesting.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »
I have been.........told, it's an easy way to catch a bunch of fish in a hurry, you simply tie a balloon to a brick with a piece of water proof cannon fuse duct taped to it and toss it in a likely honey hole, then scoop up dinner.