Homebrewed Electricity > Storage

Deep cycle VS Deep Cycle/starting batteries

<< < (2/4) > >>

zmoz:
"In other words say a 50amp drain would drop the 84 amp battery to only 42% charge.

but a 50amp drain leaves a 115 amp battery still with 57.5% charge."
Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm just wondering if the advantage of higher amp hours is outweighed by the fact that it's a starting battery.
On the other hand, I'm thinking the only difference between the two batteries is that one is physically larger, giving it more CCA, and they just decided to call it a starting battery when in reality the construction is the same. :)

nothing to lose:
I think you said they both have CCA listed, just one called starting battery also, but both supposed to be deepcycle.
If I only had the choice of the 2 I would either buy 2 of the smaller ones (more money/more amps), or 1 of the bigger ones figuring the percent of drain and rate/speed of charging to be lower than just one of the smaller ones.
I would also read the file mentioned first, which I haven't done yet. I'll download and read it also myself.

nothing to lose:
Very interesting,
On the last 2 pages showing 3 battery wirings for series and parralel and both I did not see the way I had my 6V trojans wired up nor the way I had my 3 12V deep cycles either. I geuss I will change them to the way shown and see if it make any difffernce.
Basically for the 6V series parralel setup I had + - + -  on a row. I joined the center

- + together to make a 12V bank of each set of 2, then ran all the outer + posts to the front battery and all the outer - posts to the front battery. I connected the load to the front battery also. I theory running all the POS to one point and All the Negs to one point, just happen to be the point was the front battery.
Think that worked well, bad, or no difference? It worked, but don't know how well compared to other ways of wiring them up. If all the batteries were full capacity it would have been about 1,000amphr bank at 12V.
They were all scrap yard batteries though so not full capacity, but worked well.
I also did 3 12V the same way, each pos to the front and same with the negs and connected the load at the front battery. I just did not have a center connection since they were 12V.
The 12V ones and 6V trojans were for 2 different systems, not mixed together.
I am moving it now, Just brought home the 5k inverter from the remote house and a bunch of other stuff today too.

zmoz:
I contacted Johnson Controls about these batteries. They said the batteries are both the same, except the 115ah has 1 more plate per cell. That means it should last just as long as the 85ah, given the same % of discharge, right?

BT Humble:
If you're putting together a 12V/600Ah battery bank with these cells, you might want to consider how many plugs you'll need to undo, check, and top up with water every month (I'm assuming these are flooded cells).  Also, most of the sites I've seen which talk about how to build a battery bank recomend that you run no more that 2 strings in parallel.
You'd need 8 of the 75Ah, or 5 of the 115Ah (approximately), which is 18 fewer cells.
My own bank is two strings of 2V 550Ah cells, giving me 1100Ah at 24V.  Topping these up is a non-trivial business, even though I only have to deal with 24 cells the last time I did it I needed 20 litres (5 gallons) of distilled water!
BTH

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version