Author Topic: Trojan VS Interstate VS Napa batteries  (Read 126484 times)

madlabs

Trojan VS Interstate VS Napa batteries
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »
Hi yet again...

So, are Trojan T105's, Interstate U2200 and Napa 8144 batteries equvilent in terms of quality? The specs are roughly the same. I live in a rural area, and will have to drive 100 miles round trip to get the Trojans, but can get the others locally. I am perfectly willing to drive if I have to, but if I don't...

I am assembling an ~ 880 aH battery bank.

Thanks folks!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:30:54 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Trojan VS Interstate VS Napa batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
Here is a page comparing them.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/1290-golf-cart-battery-comparison.html

The Napa 8146 is comparable to the other two. The 8144 has less capacity.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:12:41 PM by dnix71 »

madlabs

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »
I had looked up the basic specs. What I really want to know is are any of them better than the others in terms of quality. I have learned the hard way that specs often don't tell the tale. I'd rather buy the best I can afford, and all three of those batteries are close in price.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:32:25 PM by madlabs »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »
NAPA is a co-op. Their batteries are probably Exide or whoever gave them a good price.

Interstates are made by Johnson Controls in Milwaukee. Trojan makes their own.

Look locally at the date codes on the batteries. If you live in a rural area and your supplier is not careful to rotate staock, then you may be getting old or mixed date batteries. Trojan has a name to protect and they are probably more careful about that.

If price is no concern, go for the T-105RE's if you can get them. They only introduced the RE line late last year, so those have to be fresh. If price is a concern, then try to get the NAPA 8146 (not the 8144). More capacity and should be about the same price.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:07:48 PM by dnix71 »

madlabs

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:06:13 AM »
Thanks! I think I will stick with the Trojans and do the drive. I can pick up some other stuff while I'm there. Should I insist on identical or at least close date codes?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:06:13 AM by madlabs »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
They should be the same month/lot. You are buying 8, I assume. 2 strings of 4 would make a 800ah at 12v. Tell the seller what you are doing with them. The RE series come with an extended warranty (with a lot of escape clauses for Trojan), but they are supposed to be renewable energy batteries (true deep cycle) instead of traction batteries.

You may have to order and wait for a matched set of 8, maybe not, depends on the dealer.

With the economy down and people short of cash, businesses have been running down their inventories. If it's a 100 mile drive, a phone call ahead would be prudent.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:19:42 PM by dnix71 »

scottsAI

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
When I bought my 8 golf cart batteries, I looked at Trojan T105, best price I could find was $140 each. Costco had a golf cart battery for $57 each + core charge. Same 225ah, 6v battery. Easy choice for me. The battery is a backup, 4 years old. Not showing any stress. Kept fully charged.

Found a local Battery supply store, they delivered the batteries and no core charge for same price! By the way many report better than 7 years usable life using a cheap golf cart battery.

As your first battery I suggest to buy the cheapest thing meeting your needs, If the price is same, then Trojan is a no brainier. Battery care is very important, mess it up...

Checking code dates good idea.

Calling ahead is a very good idea as dnix71 suggests. Email your requirements ahead, get verification they have it and understand what you want.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:18:46 PM by scottsAI »

madlabs

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 08:46:56 AM »
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to look into Costco. I do want decent batteires, although they are my first. I think I can take decent care of them.

Jonathan

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:46:56 AM by madlabs »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
Sometimes the date codes are not obvious ("secret code"), and they do not rotate stock.

Might take a volt meter.

I have seen them at Sam's Club vary from 12.65 to 12.35V.  

And I take the highest pairs.  :-)

Sometimes the caps are not tight.  Jeans cost almost as much as a battery.  :(

G-
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:55:16 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

scottsAI

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 09:39:31 AM »
Yes, looking at the batteries can be confusing.

Four years ago, checked out Sam's and Costco batteries.

Local Costco only carries golf cart batteries in the summer here. (checked each year since)

Costco wanted me to pay for all 8 batteries + core + tax and pick them up once arrived, not willing to call me ... (two batteries in stock)

Sam's had non standard batteries, couple bucks cheaper, after doing the math decided not a good deal. 189ah vs 225ah (typical golf cart battery). Later did find a Sam's with a real golf cart battery.

Beware of 12v golf cart batteries, what I see is rated at 90 to 110ah, less than half 225ah. Cost is more than 6v battery. (When I looked $57 vs $70) . To hit a voltage need half the batteries, yet the savings is not half. (capacity is half) I wonder if the 12v are as durable as the 6v. Most 12v are marine batteries, not the same thing as a golf cart battery which is a deep cycle battery. Make sure what you get is deep cycle. See batteries labeled deep cycle / marine. To my knowledge they are not the same thing as a real golf cart battery.

Moral of the story be aware of what your buying and know what you want! (and verify what your getting)

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:39:31 AM by scottsAI »