Author Topic: The Grid  (Read 1316 times)

magneto

The Grid
« on: October 15, 2005, 01:44:52 AM »
Hello,

I am new here and do not have any experience yet.  I am very interested in learning how to break away from fossil fuels.  I have many questions, and appreciate any help and advise.  I was wondering if I am connected to the local electric co.  how I would add a connection that feeds to the Grid when I am producing more electricity than I am using?  If I do this would I still need batteries?  Also, how would you be for sure that the electric co. is accounting for the electricity that you produce.  

I posted earlier but it somehow got removed.  I am not quite sure why, but if I am doing something wrong please let me know what I am doing wrong before I am removed.

Thanks,

Magneto

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 01:44:52 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

SEARCH
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 08:16:30 PM »
The grid tie question is answerd many times - perhaps a reading of instructions and doing a SEARCH might help you.

The editors simply remove 'similar' posts as the poster should have done at least a little reading before they posted a question that hs been answered in the last few days.

Ron

« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 08:16:30 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

magneto

Re: SEARCH
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 08:24:57 PM »
I did actually search this out, but got so many unrelated answers that I gave up.  Is there a proper term I should use in my search?  Other than the grid or grid tie in?  

Thanks for your response.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 08:24:57 PM by magneto »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: The Grid
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 11:04:24 PM »
"I am new here and do not have any experience yet.  I am very interested in learning how to break away from fossil fuels. "

Seems to be a popular trend these days for some reason!  I think it's good that folks are thinking about alternatives.  Some of your questions may bring up some intersting stuff if you search the board, but I agree - searching the internet(or our board) can bring up some strange stuff.  Check out our links page on otherpower.com - there are lot's of good sites there.  If you get by a news stand, check out 'Home Power Magazine' .

"I have many questions, and appreciate any help and advise.  I was wondering if I am connected to the local electric co.  how I would add a connection that feeds to the Grid when I am producing more electricity than I am using?"

Odds are the electricity you create will have cost you more (because of the cost/time involved in your system) than grid power.  With that in mind - if you still want to do it and think its fun (which it is), you'd probably have a grid tie inverter that takes the stuff you generate feeds it back to the grid when you want it to.  The inverters are fairly expensive.  You're best first move is probably to conserve power wherever possible... although it does seem like less fun.

"If I do this would I still need batteries?"

Depends on the type of inverter you get.  There are some that don't require batteries.

If you have batteries you have the advantage of 'backup power',  Also, how would you be for sure that the electric co. is accounting for the electricity that you produce.  

"I posted earlier but it somehow got removed.  I am not quite sure why, but if I am doing something wrong please let me know what I am doing wrong before I am removed."

I think the editors (there are a few) are just getting tired of all the 'grid tie' talk lately - lots of folks are curious and ask questions before they even know which questions to ask.  Too much of that makes the forum seem less interesting/cluttered.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 11:04:24 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

nickelbender

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 10:13:03 PM »
You could build an MG set using a 24 VDC motor driving an induction but the losses will be high

An old Onan Genset(such as an LK-205) will provide a single phase machine that has ac slip rings on one side and a com on the other, I've never tried to use on as a phase converter but it should be possible.

I've seen some surplus phase converters on ebay small military units form the 50s low power output.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:13:03 PM by nickelbender »

jmk

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 07:34:57 PM »
 In most states when you are selling power back the meter actualy turns backwards. Then at the end of the mounth they cary over any balance they owe to the next mounths bill. at the end of the year they just keep it. If they buy it from you they only pay about $2.25 a KWH. Not much, but it could save on batterys.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 07:34:57 PM by jmk »