Author Topic: using aircraft batteries-how to tell age/usage  (Read 1423 times)

AKR

using aircraft batteries-how to tell age/usage
« on: November 25, 2005, 10:49:26 PM »
i read about someone on here using helicopter batteries for their home. my father is a mechanic for small planes. he might be able to hook me up with some batts or know of someone who could. would these batteries be ok? i know you're not supposed to mix batteries of different ages/levels of usage. is there a way to tell where they're at in life? thanks, Reuben
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 10:49:26 PM by (unknown) »

Experimental

Re: using aircraft batteries-how to tell age/usage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 10:55:28 AM »
   AKR,

Yes, "Jerry", has a large batch of them -- But I believe his are very heavy duty!!

Dates for aircraft batts, use a aircraft logbook entry, and may not be on the battery..

Problem being, most of these are not deep cycle, and espically for light planes -- aren,t much different than auto starting batts !!

For RE -- I would suggest, only deep cycle and even Less Schwab tire, has a golf cart battery, brand new -- for about $70...

What you use, depends on how serious you are !!

I have a cabin, supplied only by solar and a small wind gen--- as the batteries , are the "heart" of the entire system -- I use nothing but , good heavy duty, deep cycle....

In the end, for a serious system,that is depended on, I feel the cost of the batteries, pays for itself...If it is just for a few hours of standby, used might be fine....   G,day -- Bill H....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 10:55:28 AM by Experimental »

AKR

Re: using aircraft batteries-how to tell age/usage
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 05:48:31 AM »
alright, thanks, Bill. i guess i won't bother unless i can get some heavy duty ones from bigger aircrafts. Reuben
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:48:31 AM by AKR »