Author Topic: My battery won't start... I think its out of gas....  (Read 2062 times)

windstuffnow

My battery won't start... I think its out of gas....
« on: December 22, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »
  I found this quite interesting and thought I'd share it... No more recharging batteries just add fuel, restart and plug it back in...

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/microengines.html

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 06:46:34 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

windstuffnow

100 watt matchbox size...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 11:52:01 AM »
  Here is another one... ran into them on another unrelated google search... tooo cool.  Extra 100 watts you can keep in your pocket...

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6245/

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 11:52:01 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

pyrocasto

Re: 100 watt matchbox size...
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 12:04:20 PM »
I dont know about you but the thought of me carrying soemthing traveling 500,000 rpms is a little scary.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:04:20 PM by pyrocasto »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:18:05 PM »
I dont know about you but the thought of me carrying soemthing traveling 500,000 rpms is a little scary.

Heck, we're BUILT out of stuff that spins faster than that.

What matters is the kinetic energy in the rotor, the momentum of its fragments if it breaks, and the mass of its surroundings.  The rotor of this puppy is dinky (which is why a sane tip-speed translates to an insane RPM) and will no doubt HAVE to be embedded in a lot more of the same sort of stuff to even get it to work.  And I'm sure that if it's even possible, then in the process of going from the first working to the first production model they'll address the issue in the design details.

So I have no worries about the rotor causing damage through its motion in case of trouble.

Especially when compared to, say, a lithium battery:  Energy density of a hand grenade and ALL the components necessary to release it in near-microscopic proximity.  Compared to a fuel-air engine with a moving part so small you need an electron microscope to see it well, and only enough oxygen and free energy present at any given time to handle the current process (so it has something in the ballpark of a milisecond of its output power to release in case of failure)?  I'll take the engine.

(The only downside is the waste heat from the carnot cycle.  That cellphone or laptop might heat up quite a bit more when powered with an engine than with a battery.)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:18:05 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

asheets

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 12:40:19 PM »
I'm more worried about the noise and the heat of something going that fast, than if flying apart and killing me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:40:19 PM by asheets »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 12:57:58 AM »
I'm more worried about the noise and the heat of something going that fast, than if flying apart and killing me.

The noise would be at 8 1/3 KILOhertz and harmonics of that.  Well above audibility.  Above TV flyback transformers, too.  Think of it as a tiny switching regulator.

Something that high is trivial to muffle, too.  (Or, since RPM can be constant, they can design the manifolds so the accoustic energy is trapped in the engine and recycled into giving the turbine an extra push.)

Going fast does not mean ANY heat (unless you've got a serious bearing problem - in which case it don't be heat for very long at all).  The heat issues will all be because it's a HEAT ENGINE.  Still, the heat will be in the same ballpark as the heat from running something with the power it generates.

It will also be in the ballpark of the heat generated when charging a battery of about the same power rating (though the heat from this will appear when the battery would be DIScharging, and only generating a fraction of that amount the engine does.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:57:58 AM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

stop4stuff

Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 05:25:54 AM »
amazing little turbines... a couple of those 100 watters could make an awesome bicycle conversion :)

ULR - 8 1/3 KHz is well within the range of human hearing (generally 20 Hz to 20 KHz, see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_frequency_limit )... as a teenager I could hear sound upto 24.5 Khz - & 25 years on, I can still hear bats squeaking (so can my sons but not my daughter)

paul

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 05:25:54 AM by stop4stuff »

vawtman

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 11:45:50 AM »
Merry Christmas Ed

Thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 11:45:50 AM by vawtman »