Author Topic: Hurricane Electric 8 Volt Battery  (Read 3179 times)

dastardlydan

Hurricane Electric 8 Volt Battery
« on: May 07, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »
  To all you learned Colleagues need battery help

If a 12 volt battery reads 12.70 at full charge.

and a 6 volt reads 6.30 .

What dose a 8 volt battery read when fully charged ?

I did some testing hooked a 6 volt and a 8 volt in

series and got 14 volts, ( Will both battery charge ?)

All of this is from the fact that there is less 6 volt

battery and more and more 8 volt battery at my used

battery shop. The limiting factor is my inverter at 15 volt

max in put, if it was 16 volts I would go to all

8 volt batterys.

P.S.

DanB  where can I find a good picture of your

metal hub ?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:53:03 PM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Hurricane Electric 8 Volt Battery
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 04:43:22 PM »
If you connect 16V ( two 8V batteries )to your inverter with two diodes in series from the plus of the battery to the plus of the inverter the voltage your inverter will see is 16V minus two diode drops.

disclaimer : i've never tried this but i'm pretty sure it will work , can anyone confirm ?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 04:43:22 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Nando

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 05:42:19 PM »
Lead acid cells have a basic 2 volts/cell and if fully charged to equalization level the voltage would be 2.37 v/cell in float service the voltage is 2.14 or so.

The first 12.70 is charged fully to float level, ( battery age may give a few milli-volts difference)

The 6.30 volts battery is just a bit under float voltage

If you place in series a 6 and 8 volts, the basic voltage is 14 volts and your inverter, if the batteries are charged to float level, will disconnect due to high input voltage.

If you have many 8 volts battery and want to use them with the inverter, then you need to do surgery to 1/3 of them, and cut the 8 volts links in the middle to have 2 each 4 volts batteries in a common can and parallel them to attain the double current capacity which can be place in series with 2 in parallel 8 volts batteries for a 12 volts bank in this case formed by 3 batteries.

Nando

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:42:19 PM by Nando »

dastardlydan

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:12:50 PM »
    What dose a 8 volt battery read when fully charged .

THIS IS ONE THING I NEED TO KNOW ?

So I can check them with the meter.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:12:50 PM by dastardlydan »

crashk6

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
Dasterdlydan,

Willib was just offering a possible workaround no need to type in caps, it's considered yelling. If you need to emphasized try using bold type, I believe putting your text between two asterisks when typing does that on this board.

As to your battery voltage question, if I recall correctly you should be looking at somewhere around 8.56 volts or a little above for an 8 volt nominal battery. The real problem you have is that series strings of 8 volt batteries are really only practical in 24 and 48 volt systems. You can string up three for 24 volt and six of them for 48 volt systems respectively. There isn't really a way to properly/advisably configure 8 volt batteries for a 12 volt system.. unless the individual cells are linked with exterior bus bars in which case you could bypass two cells in the string to get to 12 volts nominal. This is a common trick on nicad packs being used with 12 volt inverters. The trade off of course is reduced capacity if those cells are left unused... there are other creative methods around that too... however I do not believe your batteries have bus bars, am I incorrect?

On your other question, unless that 6 volt battery and the 8 volt are alike in every way except the number of cells they have I advise against series strings, The reason for this is that if the individual cell capacities are different, as they most certainly are, the smaller capacity cells will overcharge while the larger ones continue to try charging, effectively frying/cooking/overheating the smaller cells while the others are still charging. The smaller cells would be damaged and the larger would be under charged. This is something that can be quite spectacular during failure or a long process over several charge/discharge cycles.

If however their individual cell capacities are identical than a series arrangement of 6 & 8 volt batteries is fine.

So, yes, if you have cells of identical capacity than both 6 and 8 volt batteries will charge properly when in series, but you have a problem as the nominal voltage is 14 volts in this arrangement... I notice  Nando has already told you this bit of information... and he is right! Under charge asumming you would be fully/properly charging the 6-8 volt arrangement you would still trip your inverter into over voltage disconnect.

I conclude you may want to consider a switch to a higher input voltage system/inverter if 8 volt batteries are going to be more common in your supply chain. Alternatively investigate DC Autotransformer as another possible solution to voltage missmatch... it is in fact not really a transformer so much as a bi directional dc to dc converter.

Lastly the short term measure involving the 6-8 volt series question may be as simple as dropping the input by a few volts in a manor similar to what willib sugested to you... but you still have a missmatch... notably with your charging source.

The bottom line is 8 volt batteries and 12 volt systems were not made for each other!

--

crashK6

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 11:42:03 PM by crashk6 »