Author Topic: i need more batteries  (Read 2623 times)

getterdone

• living off grid
i need more batteries
« on: August 04, 2007, 01:06:45 AM »
i found a source for a large batteries. the place is located in ElPaso,texas. email address is Lifttruck@msn.com  phone number is 1-915-778-058   any way i've been needing some batteries and came across this place. they quoted me an 875amp 24v 1700lbs lift truck battery for 1175.00$ delivered to southern mo. these were reconditioned of course. i was wondering if any other people know if thats a good deal? and has anyone dealt with them?

Resectioned to the proper section.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 01:06:45 AM by (unknown) »

Jerry

Re: I have a 2850 lb Battery
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 09:14:47 PM »
But it didn't come from these guys. I'm in Oregon. I got mine from a large wearhouse.

I wouldn't hold a charge and make it through a work shift so they gave it away.

Thank goodness for freinds with fork lifts and heavy duty trucks.

It was a 36 volt. We reconfigured it for 12 volt use. It had several sulphated cells with very low SG readings.

After about a week of desulphation and pulse charginging each bad cell the cells returned to good SG readings and its been my stores RE battery over a year now.

I can't tell you about the folksd in question but just wanted to share with you my lift truck battery expirience.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you. OH BTW the battery survived the fire untuched.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:14:47 PM by Jerry »

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:29:39 AM »
i have a 48v liftruck battery that i'm working on, it seems to be comming back. i dont have a pulse charger, or desulphafier. i'm for now just running it down to 22v, and charging it back to what ever the trace inverter will do. my system's 24v and arranged the battery the same. with the trace i can adjust the charge rate so not to over heat things. any way i'd like to have another good battery. when i move i'll feel better being totally off grid with a known good battery.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 11:29:39 AM by getterdone »

offgirdonhydro

Re: i need more batteries
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »
IMO if you do not want to front the money on batteries then you need to call a lot of warehouses and talk to shipping and receiving managers.  Make up a company name and tell them that you will be in the area and that you'll pick up old batteries, hull them off for free, and send them papers of disposal.

Trust me it works.  I had a friend that needed some and we got 6 same brand name and battery dates (with in 2 months).  All we had to do was rent a U-hall, type out a bunch of paper work with fake company names and stuff.  Once we got there they wounded why we had a U-hall.  We said that we were only in town for a few days and this way 2 teams were out collecting batteries.  When they asked about disposal cost we told them that with the lead and other chemicals we made good money.  

The whole thing cost us 4 hours on the phone, U-hall, gas, and a back hoe to lift the batteries out of the U-hall into his shed.  They told us that they would only last for 6 hours of heavy use or 8 hours of light use.

He put them on generator charger for 4 hours a day for 2 months until he thought they would be good to use.  It was a pulse charger or something.  The only problem he has had with them is that he now has more PV and 2 more inverters.

I got brand new 48 volt battery packs when I rebuilt my system last time.  I'm way off the grid.  Mine came with a 10 year replacement; like I'll need that.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 02:17:23 PM by offgirdonhydro »

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
this sounds to good to be true. i'd never thought to try to get batteries this way. thanks for the heads up. i don't have much money so this way might work. like my signature says if i were smart i'd ......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 10:59:53 AM by getterdone »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:17:27 AM »
OGH;

Well, I have to toss my 2 cents in here.

I must say that I really dislike it when folks use deception to get things. And offering it as a way to get things is in the same [low] class of activity.

The ends DO NOT justify the means. This kind of thinking is exactly what has made the corporations rich and led to the mess we are in now. Making you part of the problem, not part of the solution which is why most of us are here. I am sure I would not deal with you at any level knowing you think this method is acceptable.

I can only assume you will toss the batteries in a sink hole when they die, too, to save recycling effort.

Personal opinion.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:17:27 AM by TomW »

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 11:53:31 AM »
i have to make a statement. you assume batteries that are junk will be disgarded in a improper matter. if you know any thing about scrap prices, any battery dealer makes very good money from dead batteries, and will take them off your hands. now, obtaining someones junk, that they want to get out of the way, i see nothing wrong with. people like you are the problem . big business don't want none of us to get buy with out there hands in our pockets. our government is not for the common people any more. big business makes all the laws to suit them, not to help us. this form is a great help for us as the common people were just tring to get by. helping our environment, and our self to sustain. our gov.,big business., don't want this to happen. there's no money in it for them. comment's made and assumptions have no place on this form.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:53:31 AM by getterdone »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »
OK you win, I am the evil in this world being honest and direct rather than scheming and dishonest like he openly bragged.

The comment was directed to offgridhydro but it appeared under your earlier comment.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 12:06:09 PM by TomW »

vawtman

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »
Hi Tom

While on the subject of batteries.Could i throw in a quicky question for you?

A freind of mine was following a trailer and a like new Trojan forklift battery fell of the back and took 2 guys to get it off the road.City street so slow travel and he left it there to see if the guy would come back and get it.Didnt bother to come back.

No acid leaked out but it wont charge over 10.2 volts was 12.Has 6 2v cells.

Do you think the plates shorted from the shock of the 1 ft drop?It was in a steel case.

I know very little about these.Told him i would ask the experts

No hurry and thanks.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 12:33:33 PM by vawtman »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »
vawtman;

Do not mistake me for any kind of expert.

I would guess that the shock dislodged the plates or interconnections somehow. It still has salvage value, I would think.

If I were to try to use it I would break it down into cells for tests see which one are not playing right. Not necessarily cut it apart or anything but just use one cell at a time in tests. Even with a bad cell or two it could be put to use with other cells if you can find them. It musta dented the asphalt where it hit those things are heavy buggers.

Now found on road abandoned probably means finders keepers.

Good luck with it.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 12:43:08 PM by TomW »

vawtman

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 01:28:14 PM »
Thanks Tom
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 01:28:14 PM by vawtman »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »
TomW;

I know this is days past , but I'm having a REAL BAD week.

So if you don't mind I'd like to add to this comment.

YOUR comment is spot on!!! as they say

The company I work with is one of those so called big corporations and we give things away.

To the poster who lambasted you, he might want to read past history post before spewing out crap.

To those who might want to try this illegal move, if you get caught you go to jail!!

I'll be the one to help put you there, I don't want fools like that messing things upfor the honest people.

Most of the medium to large companies now deal with certified companies that will recycle items correctly. They have to.

In small quanites most will let you take whatever you can safely remove, so long as you can prove you know what you're doing with it.

Most of the other stuff has been mandated to be able to prove that it has been corectly recycled otherwise there's big fines.1000s/ of dollars of fines...

In the past I have offered NiCD batt packs for free merely cover the shipping costs and even those are not much more than $10/box.

This I can do 'cause I proved that I know what I'm doing around this stuff and filed legal papers with the company and gov proving so.

TomW, I applaud your stance on honesty!!!

The other route when it isn't necessary, and isn't any better than a thief.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:41:10 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 07:59:09 PM »
Bruce;

TomW, I applaud your stance on honesty!!!

It is appreciated. I guess I am a man out of time adhering to silly ideas like honesty and saying what I think and not what people want to hear.

I, too, worry about the lot of us being branded with the stigma of the actions of a few bad eggs.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 07:59:09 PM by TomW »

RedLance

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 11:05:15 PM »
Welp, I called up my local forklift dealer, and asked if they had any used batteries, and told them what I wanted it for.  They were really helpful, and offered me a pair of powered pallet jack batteries.  Used, and no longer able to last 8 hours, but still plenty of life left.  I paid $75 for the pair, they are 12 volt, 510 amp hour.  I haven't had the time to do any testing on them, I have just kept them on a charger, and in my basement so they are somewhat temperature controlled.  They seem to be doing fine.

When I finally get set up, I'll go back to them, and ask if they have any more.  Also, there is a place in town where they buy old batteries.  I was able to get a pair of L16's for $5 each.  One was frozen solid.  They both seem to have come back to life as well.

These are my experiences.

Brian

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:05:15 PM by RedLance »

luv2weld

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »
TomW,

I was told once that I beat people with the truth.

Looks like you do too. But I prefer the truth over being lied to.

Proud to call you friend.

Ralph

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:19:50 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:02:55 AM »
Ralph;

Ditto on that.

My bosses call me brutaly honest, sure beats trying to remember what lie was told when. And in our biz truth will save lives.

TomW: Don't take off anytime soon!! or don't take off at all is what I'd prefer..unless it's to catch up on fishing...

To be truely honest, I don't always agree with some of the things you have written on the forum, But I always know where you stand.

Keep up the good work!!

Cheers!

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:02:55 AM by Bruce S »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »
Brian;

Thanks for putting that in.

It's good to see other chiming in about "just being honest" and asking. No one I've ever met got hurt from just asking, and more often than not as you're experience shows, ends up with even better gains.

Thanks again for the post.

To the original poster: Proof again that honesty really is best.

Cheers!!

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:07:26 AM by Bruce S »

howlet

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 11:17:37 PM »
Hi Everyone, This topic really caught my eye. I too am in need of large forklift batteries. The cost can be staggering. I agree with those folks who maintain a level of integrity and acquire these goods in an legally acceptable manner.

Ive found that patience and a talk with the ultimate provider always gives positive results and allows one to sleep well at night. Jeff
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:17:37 PM by howlet »

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 05:13:32 PM »
ok i give. about the battery i already have, i can get it to charge to 1250sg and thats about it .

i've ran it down to 22volts [its arranged for 24v.] and then charge it back using a trace 24v,3500w inverter. it's set on equlalize. i've done this 4 times now. ending voltage is at 26.4v. still hydro meter 1250, which says fair. my question is ;should i keep doing what i'm doing? i've made some progress. down side i'll be adding water again. oh i set charge rate for 10amps, as to not over heat things.

suggestions needed.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:13:32 PM by getterdone »