Author Topic: Source Battery Technology?  (Read 1665 times)

domeguy

Source Battery Technology?
« on: October 15, 2007, 03:09:09 AM »
I'm looking for more battery capacity and ran across these guys (www.sourcebattery.com).  Among other things they sell a 24V forklift battery for $600.  They claim 1100 Ah capacity (6 hour), but another site lists the same 12-85-13 battery as a 510 Ah battery.  Even at 510 Ah it compares favorably to the Surrette S-460, assuming the reconditioned battery has reasonable life expectancy.  They also have this magic formula "Infinifluid" to recondition lead-acid batteries.  Anybody have any experience with them?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 03:09:09 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Source Battery Technology?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:21:35 AM »
No experience here, but maybe they also sell snake oil!

allan down under

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:21:35 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

richhagen

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 10:30:21 AM »
Others here have reported good luck with old fork lift batteries in RE systems.  My only experience with them comes from the warehouse where I lease and manage a camera system to them.  They charge the thing off of a charger which works off of a timer, and routinely over charge it, and also routinely allow it to deeply discharge.  Still, the battery seems to to just keep ticking along.  I know that they use a different Lead-Antimony alloy in the plates.  They seem to tolerate a lot of abuse compared to most batteries.  Still, if you are getting a used one, its value would be determined by its actual design, capacity and condition.  Some businesses will likely keep their units in service until they no longer function.  If they recondition it by adding some kind of snake oil or EDTA, that may not be worth much.  Rich
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:30:21 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

twombo

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 11:44:54 AM »
The 12-85-13 is rated at 803 AH  at a 20 hour rate.  The closest S-460 based system looks like it would be two parallel strings of four ea S-460s.

At about $340 per battery the Rolls bank would be around 2700 dollars.  I can buy brand new 12-85-13 batteries for about 2500 dollars delivered. A good bit less for a reconditioned battery

Reconditioned??? If they give a guarantee I might weigh that 1100 AH positively. Some things are accepted technology and some...??? well, ya just never know. I would get back to an enforcable warranty... whatever that is!! How long  has the business you want to deal with been there.  Longevity in the market gives me comfort on a "edgy" buy.

Infinifluid... Hard to say, reconditioning batteries is a common practice

Here is a good link on battery charge rate conversions:

http://industrialbatteryonline.com/Downloads.html

I'm thinking about 6-85-13 myself. It's about 30 percent more capacity than I need, so I have room for growth. I'm pretty heavily invested in  a 12 volt system so transition to 24 volt is not economically feasible at the moment.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 11:44:54 AM by twombo »

RedLance

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:59:27 PM »
I have a 6-85-13...

I got it and the Yuasa next to it for $75 from my friendly local forklift dealer.  They had been traded in on some AGM units, I think...some newer technology.  I have had them for a couple years now...Haven't used them yet...I just keep watering them and keep them on a charge.  I hope they are still good by the time I get my act together enough to use them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:59:27 PM by RedLance »