Author Topic: Help with identifying a battery  (Read 1241 times)

Rabrsniver

Help with identifying a battery
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:28:24 PM »
I have a few old cells which I am having trouble identifying. They are supposedly NiFe cells, but they aren't like the old Edisons.

They are taller than Edison A10s, and each cell is in a rubber outer case.(the cell itself looks to be stainless steel) The terminals are very large (about 5/8" bolts) and they have a large flip-top cap. They are 1.2V.

The markings are:

BHK 300-92

19 16 729 246 80

The "K" looks more like a logo, which is a forward and rear-facing K.

I've tried all these numbers on Google with no hits.

Any ideas about manufacturer, capacity, etc?

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:28:24 PM by (unknown) »

ruddycrazy

Re: Help with identifying a battery
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:59:42 PM »
To test if they are nife cells do a load test untill the voltage goes down to 2 volts. If they charge backup you know ya got nife cells. Now 10 cells in series should give you around 16 volts when charged. I was given a bank of 10 nife's for free and for the last 4 years they provide the power for lighting in my shed. On several occasions I've left the lights on and forgot about them untill I realize the switch is still on and the batteries are only showing 2 volts. Simply turning the lights off and leaving them for a day charging off the 80 pv panel they are good as new. If the electrolite is down on them just add some distilled water to top them up. Elsewhere in this forum is the correct chemicals needed for nifes so just do a search.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:59:42 PM by ruddycrazy »