Author Topic: link to battery sellers  (Read 1217 times)

ot1999

link to battery sellers
« on: December 04, 2007, 11:51:28 PM »
Who sells the biggest supply of xlarge 2-4 volt industrial batteries.?? The biggest

ones...1000ah or bigger..

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:51:28 PM by (unknown) »

boB

• boB
Re: link to battery sellers
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 06:08:28 PM »
Rolls/Surrette is one manufacturer I think.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 06:08:28 PM by boB »

richhagen

Re: link to battery sellers
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 06:20:03 AM »
There are two large uses of giant 2 volt cell batteries that I have ran across in the past.  The first is substation/telcom backup, and the second is electric industrual equipment, such as fork lifts, ect.  The batteries for each of those applications are formulated very differently.  

Substation batteries may sit on float for years on end, and are in general there to power switching and other equipment at the site until mains power is restored.  Telcom site use is likely similar, although I have no experience with that.  The batteries are often of a different chemistry with a Calcium alloy plate that does not handle frequent deep discharges as well.  Sometimes utilities scrap the whole lot of batteries when a substation is replaced/upgraded, as they are not big on used equipment, reliability is their goal.  If one knew the right people at the right time, a used set could probably be had for the price of scrap.

The forklift type batteries are designed to take a bit of abuse generally at the expense of a higher self discharge rate.  They tend to use an Antimony alloy in the plates.  New batteries of this type are not cheap, but it may be possible to pick up a used set with a lot of life left if you can find a company that services them - as that has been reported in the past by members of this site.

Have fun, Rich

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 06:20:03 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!