Author Topic: Care and feeding of used telco batteries  (Read 3024 times)

asheets

Care and feeding of used telco batteries
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »
The company I'm currently working for is reallocating a lot of its lab space in the next few months.  They have lots (and I mean LOTS -- several per lab) of telco-grade UPS units with 2V batteries of the Lucent and Nortstar brands.  During the lab changeout, the batteries will be replaced and I've been given 1st shot at taking any batteries I want (the facilities managers are already having problems recycling the metals from old test equipment, and would rather someone else deal with the batteries at the moment).  The potential haul is almost 500 batteries.

The thing is... although most are tested regularly under load and monitored constantly, they are well past their "freshness" date.  The site electrician indicated that some of the units should have been replaced 2 years ago, while others he doesn't have a clue about.  There are a few packs that have been cut out of the circuits and are just sitting there (replaced with other batteries on the side).  The in-service units recently passed their yearly "full-load failover" tests.

Incidentally, all I have to charge them with at the moment is 20W of solar and an Ametek PMM with 4' blades.

I've read the board, Google'd a few pertinent pages on the site, etc., but would like to get some opinions from the good folks...

1. Are they worth hauling off?  Will I get my gas money back if I end up taking everything to the scrapper if all goes to heck?
  2. How many should try to hook up to my small site?  I'm money challenged at the moment, so my RE probably isn't going to expand anytime soon.
  3. Is it worth it to take more than I can immediately use, and maintain the extras with grid power?
  4. Anything special I should do once I get them home, in terms of maintenance and preparation for their new use?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:51:12 PM by (unknown) »

GlutealCleft

Re: Care and feeding of used telco batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 02:05:45 PM »
Usually, companies like telcos replace batteries simply because they've reached a certain age, not because they don't work any more.  And that age is usually chosen so that few - if any - of the batteries will fail in that time period.  (Where I work, batteries are only used three years, then replaced.)

Chances are that the batteries are just fine.  You won't get quite as many years out of them as you would from brand-new, but for the price, you can't beat it.

Why not take a few home as soon as you can and test them?  Personally, I'd take them all - even if you can't use them, others could certainly use them.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:05:45 PM by GlutealCleft »

zeusmorg

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »
 The scrap value on that many batteries alone would make it worthwhile. it depends on their size (and weight) but even at $1 a pop, that would add up. If they're the huge 85 pounders, you're talking some serious recycle value..

Chances are you'll get way more useful batteries than you're going to need. Maybe you could find another local RE person that could use them.

To determine how many you'd need on your system more info would be needed you do want them to reach float voltage occasionally, and not go below too low a voltage.

You could set up several battery packs, and rotate them out on occasion to keep them in service longer.

As far as maintenance, are they AGM, or SLA or just deep cycle lead acid? You'll find the lead acid much easier to maintain, a topping up of the water levels is much easier on them.(only use distilled clean water). You may search maintaining the specific type of battery for maintenance requirements.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:20:19 PM by zeusmorg »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »
I would bet that the scrap value of the lead justifies the cost of retrieving them if nothing else.  I have read that some stand by batteries are have plates of Lead-Calcium and do not handle frequent deep discharges, but lack I much actual experience with those batteries. 20 Watts is not a lot of power.  As the battery bank size increases, at some point the self discharge rate will exceed your ability to put power into the battery bank, and you will not be able to maintain the batteries in a charged state even if not taking any power out.  Rich  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:36:32 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

jonas302

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:43:38 PM »
Just from scrap point of view car batterys are currenty $10 apeice bigger ones go for more take them all charge and sort them scrap the bad ones sell others to friends to pay for more windmills(:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:43:38 PM by jonas302 »

donald77777

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 05:23:36 PM »
where are you located ? I might be able to come pick some up with you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:23:36 PM by donald77777 »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 06:35:31 PM »
I'm not sure about the best way to "load-test" batteries, but I would recommend finding out how to do that very soon, and then load testing a bunch of them as soon as possible.

If you only really need 8 of them (for instance) load test a bunch, and then pick the 8 best for yourself, then determine if the condition of the remainders are poor enough for only scrap value. Then you can contact some recyclers and calculate if the payoff is worth the trouble of hauling them off.

Even with the recent rediculous prices of fuel, if 80% are in great shape, there must be many people who would pay to travel a few miles to get big batteries for a reasonable price...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 06:35:31 PM by spinningmagnets »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 08:30:07 PM »
where are you located and what type of batteries are they? model # manufacturer???
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 08:30:07 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

asheets

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 09:35:37 AM »
I'm in Loveland, CO (south-east of where the Dans are).  The batteries are in Boulder.  I will announce when I'm finally cleared to take them off-site.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:35:37 AM by asheets »

donald77777

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »
Well thats too far for me and my dad to drive, im in arizona.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:07:33 AM by donald77777 »

luv2weld

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
Alan,

Take all of them, then email me!!!!!

I have two friends that live 4-6 miles from me that are

looking to increase their battery banks. And I would like

to increase mine too. We live close to Salida/Buena Vista, CO.

About 120 miles southwest of Denver on hiway 285. We can work

out the details in direct emails. If you want to barter, I

have a sawmill, so we can supply you with lumber for carving

blades. Just grab them now!!!!!!!!

To keep them from deteriorating, hook them up in banks

of 12v (use 10 gauge wire if you have it) with either a Harbor

Freight 15 watt panel or maybe a cheap Walmart plugin battery

charger. You could rotate the banks, 1 day on the charge,4-5

days off, etc. Even using grid power to keep them charged,

it will be worth it. Any kind of charging to keep them from

sulfating.

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:31:04 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

luv2weld

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »
Update:

There are now 4 people (counting me) in my area that are interested.

If you need help moving them, getting them out of the building,

whatever. We even know a place in Denver that we could store some

of them if you need to. This is just too good an opportunity to

pass it up. We are more than willing to help with the recovery.

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:07:48 PM by luv2weld »

asheets

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:21:44 AM »
I will let you know when the batteries are released to me.  I found out this morning that the UPS gear won't be moved/upgraded for another month (delay in shutting down a project).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:21:44 AM by asheets »

luv2weld

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 08:18:20 AM »
Thanks Alan.

We'll be waiting for your call (email). Don't forget,

we're more than willing to help with the labor.

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:18:20 AM by luv2weld »