Author Topic: Forklift Battery packs ??  (Read 5731 times)

mgtd

Forklift Battery packs ??
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:18:52 PM »
Forgive me if this is a redundant post, I have searched and read the board, but would still like opinions on the following.

Locally available to me two 36 volt forklift battery packs that were removed from service about 2 months ago. Both packs were replaced due to not holding capacity for an 8 hour shift.

These are very minimally labeled as "GNB, 18 cell, 36 volt, 765 AH", and weigh 2220 lbs each, encased in a metal box.  The terminals are soldered and another post describes how to cut the interconnects and drill/tap for reconnection into a 48 volt pack.

After setting for 2 months--each cell in one pack measures at or above 2.00 volts each.  The other set has 4 flat cells (.129-.456 volts)and the remainder measure 1.80 to 1.930 volts per cell.  Should I expect the batteries (when 24 are connected for a 48 volt pack) to perform well?  Should the lower voltage cells recover and work well, after a few charge/discharge cycles?

If the 18 cell battery is rated at 765 AH, would the string of 24 batteries be rated at 1020 AH.

Each are available to me for $50.00 per set. (about 3 cents per pound). And in the future, additional packs would probably be available for cell replacement.  

Transporting them 3 miles to my home won't be a problem, nor will unloading them.

Topping up with distilled water and measuring specific gravity won't be a problem-- However, performing a heavy charge on them may. My current PV and wind genny won't perform a decent charge on these batteries.  Are there plans available on the site for a homebrew 48 volt charger to bring these to top charge or should I separate into 12 volt batteries and charge with my 30amp automotive charger?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:18:52 PM by (unknown) »

richhagen

Re: Forklift Battery packs ??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:45:03 PM »
If it were me, I would snap them up.  There is probably a bit of life left if you take the best cells to make your 48V pack.  Forklift batteries are usually high antimony alloyed plates and generally tolerate quite a bit more abuse than most batteries.  On the downside, their self discharge rates are generally higher.  A warehouse where I have done some work has some battery powered lifts which recieve regular abuse on a timed overcharge and then run flat, and they just keep chugging along.  Just because they are not holding enough capacity to power the forklift for a whole shift does not mean that you won't get several years of life out of them as re batteries.  I am not a battery expert, but I would not hesitate to grab those.  Rich
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:45:03 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

scottsAI

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
Their asking price is maybe below lead scrap prices.

No risk, any battery that does not work out get rid of it.

12v charger looks like your best option.

When stringing a group of cells together, try to match them from same battery and like condition cells from other packs, unless a cell is bad or different from other cells in the same pack.

Be careful of making too large of battery pack, bigger is not always better when it comes to lead acid.

Must be able to keep it charged or it will slowly sulfate over time always being somewhat discharged.

Your battery needs to be 95% charged more than every couple weeks. Yet, equalizing charge only 4, 5 times a year. Important to fully change ASAP after any significant super deep cycle like down to 20% or less.

Good luck and Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:39:10 PM by scottsAI »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »
They must like you. Those batteries go for about $6,000 new. Used in good condition, maybe half that. The scrap value is much higher than $50. If you have two of them and remove bad cells to leave two 24v assemblies, you could leave them in the case.

http://business.shop.ebay.com/items/Batteries-Chargers_W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_mdoZBusinessQ2dIndustrialQQ_m
sppZQQ_pcatsZ109504Q2c1266Q2c12576QQ_sacatZ109505

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:41:43 PM by dnix71 »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »
Bad link, ebay is acting up. This Google cache should work.

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:4l3gSUJNQxMJ:business.listings.ebay.com/Forklift-Parts-Accessori
es_Batteries-Chargers_W0QQdfspZ32QQsacatZ109505QQsocmdZListingItemList+GNB+36v+forklift+battery&
hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:46:16 PM by dnix71 »

SteveCH

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »
My battery bank is a set of lift truck batteries I bought new 12 yr. ago. C and D brand. When I bought them, I was told a bad cell [mine are 2 v. cells] could be easily rebuilt by them. I didn't ask how pricey. But you can check it out. If the "good" cells are really ok, maybe it would be economical for you to have those four bad ones rebuilt. Of course, that would give you four "new" cells so the bank still would not be balanced.

But, just a thought.....

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 08:50:18 PM by SteveCH »